NVIDIA's Linux Driver Continues Offering Similar OpenGL Performance To Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you try Prime?
    Good news! The latest 370.23 beta driver release (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/105855/en-us) contains initial, experimental support for PRIME Synchronization! For reasons explained below the functionality can’t be officially supported yet, but if you’re brave enough, all the pieces are there to try it out. I noticed that there is some confusion about what exactly PRIME is and how it works. In addition to explaining how to set up PRIME Synchronization, I’m taking this opport...

Also, no window compositor for X does work without problems on Nvidia, even without Optimus. Their Linux driver is not meant for using it on a real desktop Linux, Nvidia doesn't care about our usecase.

Regarding Wine and general performance: Much stuttering on a 1070 in lots of games, just like in many OpenGL Linux games.

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
      Oh well there were times when Nvidia was faster on Linux than Windows also mentioned by Valve. Nowadays Nvidia feels slower also for X-Plane on Linux and furthermore crashes once in a while. Something I don't recall 15 years ago while playing doom.
      muncrief go for Nvidia. No tearing problems with my GTX1070.
      Thank you for the info mike44. For over a decade I've tried to remain loyal to AMD but wow, they seem to have dropped the ball so severely that it's going to take years to pick it up again

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        Did you try Prime?
        Good news! The latest 370.23 beta driver release (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/105855/en-us) contains initial, experimental support for PRIME Synchronization! For reasons explained below the functionality can’t be officially supported yet, but if you’re brave enough, all the pieces are there to try it out. I noticed that there is some confusion about what exactly PRIME is and how it works. In addition to explaining how to set up PRIME Synchronization, I’m taking this opport...

Also, no window compositor for X does work without problems on Nvidia, even without Optimus. Their Linux driver is not meant for using it on a real desktop Linux, Nvidia doesn't care about our usecase.

Regarding Wine and general performance: Much stuttering on a 1070 in lots of games, just like in many OpenGL Linux games.
        I did. Two laptops I set up recently had integrated Intel and discrete Nvidia GPUs with PRIME. I worked for around a week on the first one trying everything under the sun to solve the screen tearing problem to no avail. Much to my chagrin I finally had to reinstall 10 on one of them because the user needed to play games. I was able to leave Linux on the other one, but the user had to settle for using the Intel GPU only.

And by the way, we're not about subtle or occasional screen tearing, the Nvidia GPUs were literally tearing up the screen. I was using Xubuntu 16.04.2 for both systems, and turning off the compositor barely changed anything.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
          Unfortunately I need both core and compatibility mode OpenGL 4.5 support so my expensive R9 390 has become the most expensive paperweight I've ever purchased
          Do you need compatibility mode just to run specific games, or are you using the same rig for both gaming and 3D workstation apps ?

Trying to understand why the -PRO driver isn't working for you in the short term...
          Test signature

Comment

And by the way, we're not about subtle or occasional screen tearing, the Nvidia GPUs were literally tearing up the screen. I was using Xubuntu 16.04.2 for both systems, and turning off the compositor barely changed anything.
            Like I stated several times here in the forums, the only compositor that doesn't run like complete garbage on Nvidia is KWin with the export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP" trick.
            It's the only solution which allows stutter-free window content and stutter-free window moving at the same time.
            But dunno how it will go on Optimus, couldn't try it out there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              Like I stated several times here in the forums, the only compositor that doesn't run like complete garbage on Nvidia is KWin with the export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP" trick.
              It's the only solution which allows stutter-free window content and stutter-free window moving at the same time.
              But dunno how it will go on Optimus, couldn't try it out there yet.
              Thank you for the information aufkrawall. That's something I didn't see or try. I'll write it down in my notes and try it on the next Nvidia system I work on.

Comment

I did. Two laptops I set up recently had integrated Intel and discrete Nvidia GPUs with PRIME. I worked for around a week on the first one trying everything under the sun to solve the screen tearing problem to no avail. Much to my chagrin I finally had to reinstall 10 on one of them because the user needed to play games. I was able to leave Linux on the other one, but the user had to settle for using the Intel GPU only.

Ubuntu 17.04 appears to work great with both integrated Intel GPU and NVidia (1080, but I guess it's the same for 1070).

I just don't know how to switch between GPUs on Linux on the MSI laptop, without booting W10 as an intermediate step.

Comment

Originally posted by indepe View Post

Ubuntu 17.04 appears to work great with both integrated Intel GPU and NVidia (1080, but I guess it's the same for 1070).

I just don't know how to switch between GPUs on Linux on the MSI laptop, without booting W10 as an intermediate step.
                  For PRIME configuration type in terminal: DRI_PRIME=1 application (the application you need to run).

Alternatively open an application hyper-link i use MenuLibre and type the same before the commands (and after env) then save.

For Wine Nine you also need: thread_submit=true (after the first).
                  Last edited by artivision; 16 June 2017, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post

They can just open their Linux kernel driver part as any other company in the world, Kernel drivers are not unified between OSs. Alternatively they can just release their power management code, imagine for example if Intel Turbo Boost didn't work on Linux. Nvidia is inexcusable and that is not something that just I say but a bigger than me middle finger.
                    Have you not read what I've written? The platform specific part is just a shim. Of course it could be open sourced, but it's nothing interesting in there.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Do you need compatibility mode just to run specific games, or are you using the same rig for both gaming and 3D workstation apps ?

Trying to understand why the -PRO driver isn't working for you in the short term...
                      Just for games bridgman. The only one I play myself is No Man's Sky, but I've run across two others in the last year that others wanted to play, though unfortunately I can't remember their names.

Ironically I'm not really a gamer because I don't enjoy shooting things or puzzles, and have always just wanted something kind of like Star Trek where I could just roam around and explore. And wow, I was so happy when I found NMS. It worked really well under Linux at first, but then they changed the game to require OpenGL 4.5 compatibility mode and I couldn't use the open source driver anymore.

In any case as I said the AMDGPU-PRO drivers up to 16.50 worked fine, though they were a bit slow. But after that NMS just displays a lot graphical corruption after the initial space and stars during the startup. It looks much like someone taking a cloth and wiping it across wet paint. I've tried numerous kernels, and used to even try compiling my own kernels, but something happened after the 16.50 driver that I can't find a solution to. If there's some kind of logs or other info I can glean for you I'd be happy to do it. I've been a loyal AMD customer for over a decade and was really looking forward to getting a Vega GPU, but if I can't find a solution soon I'm going to have to try Nvidia.

Comment

Working...
                      X