NVIDIA's Linux Driver Continues Offering Similar OpenGL Performance To Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muncrief View Post

Okay, thank you for trying deppman, I appreciate it. We'll see how things pan out over the next few weeks. It's really going to make me cringe having to abandon AMD though, especially since I just bought this $330 R9-390 less than a year ago. But sheesh, it's just an endless problem that doesn't seem like it's going to get better anytime soon.
    Hey, I have a GTX 980Ti which I was going to use it for crypto-mining, but the R9-390 is better at that. And the GTX 980 Ti is a far better graphics card especially for Linux. Wanna to trade?

Comment

Originally posted by deppman View Post

Hey, I have a GTX 980Ti which I was going to use it for crypto-mining, but the R9-390 is better at that. And the GTX 980 Ti is a far better graphics card especially for Linux. Wanna to trade?
      Oh wow, that would be awesome deppman! I was just looking at Nvidia cards and saw that most all medium to high end GPUs, of all brands, are astronomically priced because of crypto-mining. In fact both of our cards are in the $650-$750 range, which is crazy!

I looked up my order on Newegg and the exact card I have is the "Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 390 100382NTOC-2L 8GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Tri-X OC Version". I purchased it on 11/27/2015, so it's older than I remembered, but it's just been sitting in my giant tower case since then. I use it everyday of course but not much for gaming, so it hasn't been subjected to any tortures temperatures And by the way, it's very long so you have to have a full sized tower or it simply won't fit.

If your card is in equally good condition I think a trade would help both of us. My card would be great for mining, and yours would be great for gaming. But how would we do the trade? It's my only GPU and I can't do without it before I get a replacement, but then you'd have to trust I'd send it to you. It doesn't look like we can see each other's email addresses but I have a public one - [email protected]. Yes, I'm SearingTruth, and I've done quite a bit of political blogging over the decades, but please don't hold it against me! In fact I still have an old website that's online, but it's archived and only serves to host a few things I wrote long ago.

Comment

muncrief I tried your email address but it didn't work. Here is my response from my email. You should be able to contact me from there:

Hi Searingtruth!

Hey we were talking on the Phoronix forums about trading cards and it seems like a great deal. My GTX 980 Ti was used for about a year and cost $650. I replaced it in July-ish 2016 with a Titan XP. It is in near mint condition and has been in it's original box ever since. I can send you photos.I think I purchased it in August 2015. So the cards are nearly the same age.

I'm in Silicon Valley, so if you are local we could meet in the city and just swap cards. Let me know if that might work.

Otherwise we'd probably need to arrange a hold perhaps via Google wallet. There you could send me a deposit as insurance against my card. I would then ship my card. Once I received your card I would decline the funds and the trade would be complete. Of course I'm open to other ideas too.

PS. Yeah I got a blog too. Check out MichaelMikowski.com for all the gory details.

Comment

muncrief I tried your email address but it didn't work. Here is my response from my email. You should be able to contact me from there:

Hi Searingtruth!

Hey we were talking on the Phoronix forums about trading cards and it seems like a great deal. My GTX 980 Ti was used for about a year and cost $650. I replaced it in July-ish 2016 with a Titan XP. It is in near mint condition and has been in it's original box ever since. I can send you photos.I think I purchased it in August 2015. So the cards are nearly the same age.

I'm in Silicon Valley, so if you are local we could meet in the city and just swap cards. Let me know if that might work.

Otherwise we'd probably need to arrange a hold perhaps via Google wallet. There you could send me a deposit as insurance against my card. I would then ship my card. Once I received your card I would decline the funds and the trade would be complete. Of course I'm open to other ideas too.

PS. Yeah I got a blog too. Check out MichaelMikowski.com for all the gory details.
          That's perfect Micheal. I live very close to San Jose, it only takes about 30 minutes to get there. I just sent you an email so we can arrange the swap.

Comment

... Until you run into this step:

3. Run application

With NV drivers, it just works. With AMD, its time to upgrade to 4.12 kernel, load Mesa from Git, and descend into Dante's 9th circle of regression hell. Look at all Michael's benches: in an effort to make AMD look better he keeps using Beta/Alpha/Git snapshot software including the Kernel. While this might be fun for dual-boot tinkerers it is unacceptable for mission-critical workstations.

My son plays dozens of steam games, many of them unavailable on AMD GPUs. The total time spent tinkering to make those games work on our GPU is almost always 0 minutes per week. Not my experience with AMD. At all.

No worries mate, buy what makes you happy. But let's be honest with the Linux newbies and professionals who want and need things to work reliably with minimal trouble.

EDIT: To wit, check out this latest article: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...new-1710&num=1 Alpha, Beta, Git. And a gem of a quote that sums it up all the constant trouble getting performant and stable AMD drivers from anywhere:
            Sorry for the late answer, have been on vacation but...

I haven't had any of your problems, I just run arch as stock or when I did ubuntu I ran the oibaf drivers...and never had any trouble, it just worked. Maybe I have been lucky, I don't know. The games I am playing are mostly Total war: Warhammer, DE:Mankind Divided, DOW 2&3, Cities Skylines, Stellaris, Dirt Rally.

I had some problems with tearing on 4k with fury but otherwise it has been a dream for me. But my experience on running NV with a rolling distro like arch is hell. I just can get black screen after any update...so no thank you...

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post

Sorry for the late answer, have been on vacation but...

I haven't had any of your problems, I just run arch as stock or when I did ubuntu I ran the oibaf drivers...and never had any trouble, it just worked. Maybe I have been lucky, I don't know. The games I am playing are mostly Total war: Warhammer, DE:Mankind Divided, DOW 2&3, Cities Skylines, Stellaris, Dirt Rally.

I had some problems with tearing on 4k with fury but otherwise it has been a dream for me. But my experience on running NV with a rolling distro like arch is hell. I just can get black screen after any update...so no thank you...
              It all depends on you want. If you want a rolling release then the AMD stack might be easier to deal with if you don't the broadest application support. If you need a stable, pro-level OGL 4.5 support on mission critical devices and an application-certified OS, well that's a whole other kettle of fish

Comment

Working...
              X