Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 381.22 Linux Driver Released With Updated Vulkan

Phoronix: NVIDIA 381.22 Linux Driver Released With Updated Vulkan

NVIDIA has released a new short-lived Linux binary driver update that jumps it ahead to the 381 release series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And 4.11 was released when? Because I keep hearing the lack of prompt kernel support as an argument against Nvidia's blobs.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      And 4.11 was released when? Because I keep hearing the lack of prompt kernel support as an argument against Nvidia's blobs.
      linux 4.11 was released the first of may, and i only heard that argument with amd blobs

Comment

I don't remember all of the details, but there were some licensing issues with 4.11 kernel and Nvidia had to relicense MIT -> dual MIT/GPL.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

I don't remember all of the details, but there were some licensing issues with 4.11 kernel and Nvidia had to relicense MIT -> dual MIT/GPL.
          Still not fixed

Code:
          ld -r -o /home/leigh/Downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-381.22/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nv-modeset-interface.o /home/leigh/Downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-381.22/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nvidia-modeset-linux.o
            Building modules, stage 2.
            MODPOST 4 modules
          FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module nvidia-drm.ko uses GPL-only symbol 'refcount_inc'
          make[3]: *** [/usr/src/kernels/4.11.0-1.fc26.x86_64/scripts/Makefile.modpost:91: __modpost] Error 1
          make[2]: *** [/usr/src/kernels/4.11.0-1.fc26.x86_64/Makefile:1500: modules] Error 2
          make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/kernels/4.11.0-1.fc26.x86_64'
          make[1]: *** [Makefile:152: sub-make] Error 2
          make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/kernels/4.11.0-1.fc26.x86_64'
          make: *** [Makefile:81: modules] Error 2

Comment

Mad Max vulkan beta was crashing on 381.09. I had to revert to 378.13.

Anyone know if this is fixed in 381.22 ?

Comment

Does this fix the Mad Max Vulkan Beta crash with 381.09?

Comment

Originally posted by leigh123linux View Post
                Still not fixed
                Hmm.

Patch is a cut down version of 378.13, so it should work just fine however the need to relicense nvidia-drm (kref_read() needs GPL symbols) kernel module from “MIT” to “Dual MIT/GPL” still prevents anyone from using this in production and redistribution. Hopefully by the time 4.11 is officially released this hack won’t be required anymore (see previous patch for more info). patch -p1

Edit: This post has been made obsolete by release of 381.22 which cleanly works with everything including up to date git master of linux kernel. Way to go nvidia. /me claps.

Comment

Originally posted by leigh123linux View Post

Still not fixed

Code:
                  ld -r -o /home/leigh/Downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-381.22/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nv-modeset-interface.o /home/leigh/Downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-381.22/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nvidia-modeset-linux.o
                  Building modules, stage 2.
                  MODPOST 4 modules
                  FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module nvidia-drm.ko uses GPL-only symbol 'refcount_inc'
                  make[3]: *** [/usr/src/kernels/4.11.0-1.fc26.x86_64/scripts/Makefile.modpost:91: __modpost] Error 1
                  make[2]: *** [/usr/src/kernels/4.11.0-1.fc26.x86_64/Makefile:1500: modules] Error 2
                  make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/kernels/4.11.0-1.fc26.x86_64'
                  make[1]: *** [Makefile:152: sub-make] Error 2
                  make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/kernels/4.11.0-1.fc26.x86_64'
                  make: *** [Makefile:81: modules] Error 2
                  This to me is ridiculous territory. We happily grill Oracle when they claim an API is IP, yet we're happy to prevent users from accessing kernel's API because it's IP.
                  Ok, GPL source code (as in code, the thing that does stuff) I can understand. But GPL interfaces? What's the point?

Comment

This to me is ridiculous territory. We happily grill Oracle when they claim an API is IP, yet we're happy to prevent users from accessing kernel's API because it's IP.
                    Ok, GPL source code (as in code, the thing that does stuff) I can understand. But GPL interfaces? What's the point?
                    It should have been a warning, not right out FATAL and refuse to load the module. And then some folks complain why commercial vendors are slow or not interested in supporting Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X