Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
      Just updated like:

michael@michael-ubuntu:~$ sudo service lightdm stop
      cd Dow*
      sudo ./NVI*

no need for ppa etc.
      Will test in Alien Isolation now.
      Well, yes, installing by hand is one way to do it.
      Using a PPA, while adding a little lag*, has the advantage of updating the driver automatically for you.

*not much, this drivers seems to be currently uploading: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa

Comment

For now wine still running similar to 381.09, xfce desktop works without issues

Comment

I wish the Nvidia's blob had as good performance worked as smooth as basic Intel HD that is 1/5 of processing power of Nvidia.

I have tested many nvidia blobs on latest i7 with GTX 980 and DE experience isn't as smooth as cheap $200 laptop with HD3000. With Unity/GNOME3 I'm seeing issues where both compositors start with ~200MB of memory and grow easily to 500MB after some use. Also I have noticed drastic memory usage increase of Unity/Mutter after resuming a system from sleep. None of these issues happen with Intel i915 driver. Firefox scrolling is also butter smooth on i915 with 'Compositing: OpenGL' as seen in about:support that can be forced via layers.acceleration.force-enabled whereas with Nvidia it may start out smooth but once you open multiple tabs or view sites with many images it starts to lag. With i915 the Compiz on Unity will stay at 188MB (x86_64 arch) even after long use, multiple windows open, mpv playing, and even after suspending/wakingup multiple times.

Also with Nvidia blob things like start up times are longer (especially when light-dm starts or right after you type in password to login).

Comment

They FINALLY fixed resume from hibernation freeze on Pascal! Thank the fucking lord that's been driving me nuts.

Comment

Thankfully this driver has fixed the compiz broken window borders on resume.

Comment

Working...
              X