No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 177.80 Display Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yeah, don't buy ATI its a pain... I'm reading this thread, because i think of buying a nvidia card *g*, because after 2 or 3 years of ATI i'm done..

If there would only be an PciE Intel Card...

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      All you had to do is boot to runlevel 3 or invoke it by typing init 3 into your console.
      I did that, it still threw a fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Porter View Post
        I did that, it still threw a fit.
        run level 3 in ubuntu still runs GDM. The best way to stop X in ubuntu is to just stop GDM with its init script. First switch to any TTY then:

Code:
        sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
        Then
        Code:
        sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
        to start it again.

Comment

I think the days of bad ATi drivers are over. I think my next machine I'll try another ATi card. Mainly because the tide is turning, with open source support now available for ATi cards.

PS: I use Arch Linux. Seems to be a pretty good distro. Although the arch package nvidia driver doesn't always work so I just download the driver from the nvidia website. That's probably the only problem I've really ever had with nvidia at a driver level. Otherwise it would be nice if the card itself was a little quieter.

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
            I think the days of bad ATi drivers are over. I think my next machine I'll try another ATi card. Mainly because the tide is turning, with open source support now available for ATi cards.
            that is, available, for _SOME_ cards, not the newer.

Comment

I borrowed Ati card from my friend some time ago and didn't have problems with it. No matter - fglrx or open drivers it worked very well. My nvidia card is slow in KDE4 like a turtle, fonts are corrupted etc. etc....

Hmm well i have use ati`s and nvidias card too, but i still like to thing in both cases why doesn`t something work, or works nto so good
              and not make it sweeping ( hope the word is rigth one, sorry bit lack english ) way , still happy to hear this progress from nvidia

Comment

Working...
              X