No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Vulkan Driver Shows Impressive Mad Max Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is nice to see that 1060/Vulkan can beat 1080 Ti/OGL and shows how important APIs and optimization are, compared to silicon.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
      Finally some really solid numbers showing why Vulkan is a better API than OpenGL. An excellent side by side comparison. Thank you Michael for informing the community on why this API change is a good thing.
      Nope. It shows that their D3D->OpenGL wrapper is not exactly effective.

Comment

Michael
        Could You please do also a test-run with the performance governor for the CPU? I'm pretty certain that this would give even more impressive numbers, since powersave tends to downclock the CPU under Vulkan, because of the lighter load on each individual CPU core/thread.

PS: Somebody should give Crysis (1) [2007] the Vulkan treatment - just so Intel IvyBridge users can claim: "Yes, it can run Crysis!"

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
          Michael
          Could You please do also a test-run with the performance governor for the CPU? I'm pretty certain that this would give even more impressive numbers, since powersave tends to downclock the CPU under Vulkan, because of the lighter load on each individual CPU core/thread.

PS: Somebody should give Crysis (1) [2007] the Vulkan treatment - just so Intel IvyBridge users can claim: "Yes, it can run Crysis!"
          I'll be doing a governor gaming comparison soon.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
            As the GPU is maxed out, I see no reason for a Windows version to be faster. At best the performance would be more or less equivalent.
            Actually it's Vulkan that has the slightly higher performance potential when correctly using renderpasses and out of order rasterization - the latter is an AMD extension, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
              Michael

Tbh, if the CPU is underused, it should be left to throttle.

Comment

Am I the only one that thinks it's strange that the 'normal' and 'very high' presets have almost exactly equal performance?

I saw this on the radeonsi test as well. I haven't tried the game my self, but is there so little difference between the settings?

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                  Am I the only one that thinks it's strange that the 'normal' and 'very high' presets have almost exactly equal performance?

I saw this on the radeonsi test as well. I haven't tried the game my self, but is there so little difference between the settings?
                  most likely the difference is minimal from normal to very high, or cpu is bootleneck the performance, Vulkan is young the drivers are young and the engines are young we will need two years at least

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Unfortunately with Mad Max I don't believe there is an equivalent benchmark mode on Windows to Feral's benchmark mode with this being a new addition to the vulkan beta. But if there is, happy to tesf.
                    Kudos to Feral for adding the benchmark mode then.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

We know Vulkan is better than opengl.

But what we - at least I - want to know is when it is better than directx (I supose sometimes is and others not) under WINE and under native MS WOS, and if you want to work a bit more with MS WOS under Xen an KVM GPU pass through VMs.

And that is the battle, because if Vulkan beats directx, and even better Vulkan under GNU/Linux beats also Vulkan under MS WOS, then gamer users will switch to GNU/Linux, and gamer users are a small, but big enough computer market share.
                      Last edited by mitcoes; 31 March 2017, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X