Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA @ CES 2017 Livestream

Phoronix: NVIDIA @ CES 2017 Livestream

Jen-Hsun Huang's keynote presentation for NVIDIA is going on tonight at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES 2017)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No 1080 TI :'(

Comment

So far not interesting. Atleast AMD will show up something relevant.
      Yesterday my brother put a GTX1080 inside his PC. Closed source drivers, tearing. He couldn't find an option in a GUI to solve the problem, called me and i googled around to find some insane looking line that he put in a terminal to solve it. Best drivers on Linux they said...

On a side note, Firefox also didn't recognize it for hardware acceleration, so just as with AMD OSS drivers i had to turn it on in FF. If Nvidia and AMD aren't recognizable neither with OSS nor blobs than what is? Does it work under Windows, anyone knows?
      Last edited by sunweb; 05 January 2017, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
        So far not interesting. Atleast AMD will show up something relevant.
        Yesterday my brother put a GTX1080 inside his PC. Closed source drivers, tearing. He couldn't find an option in a GUI to solve the problem, called me and i googled around to find some insane looking line that he put in a terminal to solve it. Best drivers on Linux they said...

On a side note, Firefox also didn't recognize it for hardware acceleration, so just as with AMD OSS drivers i had to turn it on in FF. If Nvidia and AMD aren't recognizable neither with OSS nor blobs than what is? Does it work under Windows, anyone knows?
        Huh? I've never had these problems with any Nvidia cards.

Comment

That was rather underwhelming when you consider they advertised that they were going to show off "something big" at that event.

The machine learning stuff may have been better suited for showing off at a machine learning and AI conference and not a consumer electronics trade show, but I guess this allows them to wow people who don't know much about it and to pad out a press event where they otherwise wouldn't have had much in terms of actual new products to show off.

Still, let's hope AMD's press event today will be more interesting. Apparently they're going to be showing off the first Vega cards and if the demo at the Zen/Ryzen event (where they played Doom at 4k and over 60FPS on a prototype card) is anything to go by, it's going to be great.

Comment

Isnt that a firefox issue? That it never has hardware acc turned on as default on linux?

Comment

I think the "something big" was meant to be GeForce Now. I guess it could be big for Nvidia's accountants, but I doubt anyone is eager to pay by the hour to play games.
              $25 for 20 hours of play on a GTX 1060 PC? That means after 160 hours, you're better off buying the card.

Comment

I hope I will never see self-driving cars with proprietary software.
                They can kill you or others whenever their masters want that.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  I think the "something big" was meant to be GeForce Now. I guess it could be big for Nvidia's accountants, but I doubt anyone is eager to pay by the hour to play games.
                  $25 for 20 hours of play on a GTX 1060 PC? That means after 160 hours, you're better off buying the card.
                  If it was an order of magnitude less expensive it would be revolutionary. As it is now it is a FAIL.

Comment

I think they call it "Sync to VBlank" in the GUI.

Comment

Working...
                    X