Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's Next Linux Driver Release To Support Vulkan Without X11

Phoronix: NVIDIA's Next Linux Driver Release To Support Vulkan Without X11

NVIDIA has confirmed that their next proprietary driver update for Linux will introduce support for Vulkan rendering outside of the X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's a good step forward!

And now do we have any date for Mir/Wayland from NVidia? Or maybe Nvidia will only provide those "neutral" drivers that open source project will use by themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
      That's a good step forward!

And now do we have any date for Mir/Wayland from NVidia? Or maybe Nvidia will only provide those "neutral" drivers that open source project will use by themselves?
      I believe the agreement was for Nvidia and the community to work towards a new API that solves all the remaining issues. Since we haven't heard of that API being anywhere near finished (is it even started?), there won't be a driver anytime soon.

Comment

The only thing missing for me is a way to run Xwayland with the NVIDIA drivers. I don't know if it would be enough if they implement GLAMOR support, which Xwayland uses.

Comment

Who cares. I removed all the green from my rigs.

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
            Who cares. I removed all the green from my rigs.
            Have fun playing Super Tux Kart with 20 FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

Have fun playing Super Tux Kart with 20 FPS.
              I'll have you know I get a silky smooth and cinematic 24 fps in Super Tux Kart with my 390X.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I believe the agreement was for Nvidia and the community to work towards a new API that solves all the remaining issues. Since we haven't heard of that API being anywhere near finished (is it even started?), there won't be a driver anytime soon.
                We have this so far, not sure if any discussions or implementations of it exist: https://github.com/cubanismo/allocator

Comment

Will this allow bumblebee users to finally be able to use Vulkan?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

According to phoronix news, mutter 3.23.2 supports EGLStream/EGLDevice, so, maybe they decided to use Nvidia approach instead of creating third allocating API.

Comment

Working...
                    X