Editorial: Using NVIDIA On Linux For The First Time In 10 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    Trust me, I rant more than enough about unwanted binary firmware blobs, ask Bridgman
    Also, as soon as another vendor will provide free drivers along with free firmware stay sure that I will say "fuck you AMD" and I will switch (this is not something that a fanboy would do, don't you think?).
    You're right. It sounds more hypocritical than fanboyish. You want everyone to buy AMD to support your ideals (to the point where you call anyone who disagrees stupid or insane) and then you say that AMD doesn't live up to your ideals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      That seems to be broken right now. It didn't populate Gnome Software for me. I actually hoped that it would, because I know its supposed to this cycle. But as of the other day, it wasn't.
      It didn't populate Gnome Software during the beta period because 357.10 didn't support xorg 1.19. On release day though this issue was fixed after Nvidia released 357.20 and it was added to negativo17.

It appears on all the clean installs & upgrades I have done to F25 after release day.

Comment

• Originally posted by tebruno99 View Post

It didn't populate Gnome Software during the beta period because 357.10 didn't support xorg 1.19. On release day though this issue was fixed after Nvidia released 357.20 and it was added to negativo17.

It appears on all the clean installs & upgrades I have done to F25 after release day.
        That is very odd, because I redid my environment article post-release and it didn't show up.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ericg View Post

That is very odd, because I redid my environment article post-release and it didn't show up.
          Maybe you have to dnf --refresh after adding the repo or install something to force it to download the repo metadata? I'm not super familiar with fedora having just switched on the day of F25's release for the nvidia+wayland patches. Does it show up now?

Comment

• You're 'compare' (power and heat) an aged R9 290 (one of the biggest consumers, ever, but very good for DP math) with a currently released 1060, really?

Comment

• Originally posted by tebruno99 View Post

Maybe you have to dnf --refresh after adding the repo or install something to force it to download the repo metadata? I'm not super familiar with fedora having just switched on the day of F25's release for the nvidia+wayland patches. Does it show up now?
              Code:
              dnf clean all
              That clears repo metadata for all repos. I imagine you can clean metadata for specific repos though.

Comment

• I don't see why so many people had problems installing the Nvidia driver.

I just downloaded the installer from Nvidia's website, made sure I had the kernel-devel packages installed, ran the installer and I was good to go.

Comment

• Sounds like Fedora hasn't even caught up with the Ubuntu releases from 10 years ago, well then...

Comment

• Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

Let's not forget the games they've played with PhysX also. If you have an AMD GPU as primary and NV GPU as secondary, PhysX is very well possible to run on the NV GPU, but NV has disabled this for no good reason (was a cat-and-mouse game for a while until people stopped caring). And in the past, they even resorted to coding some bs where if you ran a set-up like this, the physics were reversed and it would silently switch to CPU-accelerated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TOXo98l4aU
                    Hmm... I actually didn't know about that one....one more reason to avoid the green teams...

Honestly, you need to be really ignorant to buy one of their cards

Comment

• Originally posted by DanL View Post

You're right. It sounds more hypocritical than fanboyish. You want everyone to buy AMD to support your ideals (to the point where you call anyone who disagrees stupid or insane) and then you say that AMD doesn't live up to your ideals.
                      No, you should support *your* ideals. What I'm really saying is that if someone doesn't think that having FOSS drivers is important than he is either stupid or illiterate. No personal offence intented.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Ok, mr. Stallman, what kind of drivers are installed on your smartphone?
                      On a more serious note, I get that you do what you can to avoid proprietary software. But do you think everybody who doesn't, is an idiot?
                      I'm far from being a mr. Stallman, in fact I do run proprietary drivers on my smartphone. I simply use FOSS software as much as I can, supporting companies who promote it as much as I can. I don't think that everybody who uses proprietary software is an idiot, but everybody who doesn't recognize the importance of FOSS drivers is, IMHO. Promoting one of the worst companies ever in that regard while there are awesome alternatives with (almost) completely free drivers is a clue in that direction. We wouldn't have what we have now if people kept thinking "it works well, I don't care for the source code".
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X