No announcement yet.

Editorial: Using NVIDIA On Linux For The First Time In 10 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that @Michael has started censoring my posts I I have no reasons to participate in these forums. So long. So sad. So unpleasant.

Comment

Here's my original post pastebin.com/mfR9Yfx3

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Here's my original post pastebin.com/mfR9Yfx3
        You have three "fuck" there, that might be more than what can be approved per post

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It's hardly the best. It's only a tad better than the bait-click we're used to. I mean, who visits Phoronix regularly and doesn't know of Fedora's stance on proprietary packages already?
          It's an honest depiction of one's experience, but anything AMD vs Nvidia that presents things form a particular point of view leaves the door wide open for flames to follow.

This is not a criticism. I find the same thing happens in news outlets' comments section as well. Any author presenting something from a point of view gets criticized for not considering this or that aspect or for not being 100% impartial. It's as if people expect news to be written by robots that can compute the absolute point of neutrality or something.
          I hear ya, but on the other hand, I'm pretty sure anybody not using Fedora would automatically dismiss those claims anyway. I don't count negative personal experience with Fedora against nVidia. Anybody that's ever used Fedora for more than just booting it up knows all about runtime bugs.

Comment

Now that @Michael has started censoring my posts I I have no reasons to participate in these forums. So long. So sad. So unpleasant.
            It just just got caught up in the mod queue, Give it some time, your post will show up, but the forums software is buggy and won't notify you when it does show up.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I hear ya, but on the other hand, I'm pretty sure anybody not using Fedora would automatically dismiss those claims anyway. I don't count negative personal experience with Fedora against nVidia. Anybody that's ever used Fedora for more than just booting it up knows all about runtime bugs.
              No argument there, but what ericg did was post his experience with Nvidia on Fedora in an article named "Using Nvidia on Linux". Just enough to leave the door open for argument

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

It just just got caught up in the mod queue, Give it some time, your post will show up, but the forums software is buggy and won't notify you when it does show up.
                The comment was here yesterday for at least two hours then looks like someone "moderated" it, i.e. hid or deleted it.

Comment

The comment was here yesterday for at least two hours then looks like someone "moderated" it, i.e. hid or deleted it.
                  I'm not sure then really. I know for certain there have been times in my past where I got worked up over an issue and said some things here far more inflammatory than what you said. Hopefully it's really just a bug?

Comment

Huh? I am not censoring any posts.... Not sure what you're talking about. So you're saying it appeared right away (so wasn't in spam queue) and then disappeared some time later? Really doesn't make sense, I didn't delete any posts.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by vein View Post
                      As I have said many times on this forum, I like AMD, simply because it works for me. And I love their OSS effort.

But I have also sat myself down to think about what it is that makes me really choose AMDs cards and the truth is that the biggest motivator is that their competition are complete bastards. Why? Well, lets see...

* They lie to their customers (970)
                      * They have bad drivers (on windows 10, there has been only trouble)
                      * They lock customers with technology (Cuda and almost no support for OpenCL)
                      * They deliberately make games run worse on competition cards (Gameworks...example: Witcher 3)

And the list goes on... I do not want to support a company that behaves like this... if there would be more competition for them, I am not sure I would buy AMD...I might be buying a third alternative...I just dont like the green team...
                      Let's not forget the games they've played with PhysX also. If you have an AMD GPU as primary and NV GPU as secondary, PhysX is very well possible to run on the NV GPU, but NV has disabled this for no good reason (was a cat-and-mouse game for a while until people stopped caring). And in the past, they even resorted to coding some bs where if you ran a set-up like this, the physics were reversed and it would silently switch to CPU-accelerated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TOXo98l4aU

Comment

Working...
                      X