Editorial: Using NVIDIA On Linux For The First Time In 10 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

The blame comes straight from the retailers milking the price by charging more than manufacturers suggested price.
    AMD actually gained market share on second quarter of 2016 according to Jon Peddie Research. The company knew a mere loss of 0.8% in Q3 despite lacking a high end graphic cards compared to Nvidia 2.2% market share with all combined graphic cards including high end GPU(http://jonpeddie.com/publications/market_watch/).

I work in retail in some suppliers sell the 20160 for 270+/- so add taxed and margins on that and you get 350+/-

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

So, you only play open-source games? Does your smartphone happens to run Android AOSP?
      Yes, my smartphone runs Android AOSP + patches (it really isn't that difficult). If you don't then I have some bad news for you: https://thehackernews.com/2016/11/ha...phone.html?m=1
      I hope you don't care for the small, giant backdoor you almost surely got installed, doesn't matter which brand you own.
      I play almost no games at all, but when I play proprietary games I do it in a sandboxed environment or in a separate machine. When there are FOSS games I like I always donate something to support them.

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      Quit while you're behind. AMD has proprietary driver software on Windows and Linux (and even binary firmware for use with open radeon/amdgpu drivers). You may have the best of intentions when purchasing an AMD card, but ultimately, your money still supports proprietary software. Also, Nvidia cards do have open-source drivers, even if they don't support them directly. I used nouveau with an old 8400GS for years and was quite happy with it. I intend to move my GTX950 to nouveau ASAP since I don't do intensive gaming on Linux. I'll boot to Windows for the few games I play that need the GTX950's full power.
      Trust me, I rant more than enough about unwanted binary firmware blobs, ask Bridgman
      Also, as soon as another vendor will provide free drivers along with free firmware stay sure that I will say "fuck you AMD" and I will switch (this is not something that a fanboy would do, don't you think?). Nvidia FOSS driver is crap (sorry Nouveau developers, it isn't your fault and I really respect your work) and I need to get work done. Also I really don't want to support the company behind it in any way.
      Last edited by darkbasic; 27 November 2016, 08:05 AM.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

As I have said many times on this forum, I like AMD, simply because it works for me. And I love their OSS effort.

But I have also sat myself down to think about what it is that makes me really choose AMDs cards and the truth is that the biggest motivator is that their competition are complete bastards. Why? Well, lets see...

* They lie to their customers (970)
        * They have bad drivers (on windows 10, there has been only trouble)
        * They lock customers with technology (Cuda and almost no support for OpenCL)
        * They deliberately make games run worse on competition cards (Gameworks...example: Witcher 3)

And the list goes on... I do not want to support a company that behaves like this... if there would be more competition for them, I am not sure I would buy AMD...I might be buying a third alternative...I just dont like the green team...

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Yes, my smartphone runs Android AOSP + patches (it really isn't that difficult). If you don't then I have some bad news for you: https://thehackernews.com/2016/11/ha...phone.html?m=1
          I hope you don't care for the small, giant backdoor you almost surely got installed, doesn't matter which brand you own.
          I play almost no games at all, but when I play proprietary games I do it in a sandboxed environment or in a separate machine. When there are FOSS games I like I always donate something to support them.
          Ok, mr. Stallman, what kind of drivers are installed on your smartphone?
          On a more serious note, I get that you do what you can to avoid proprietary software. But do you think everybody who doesn't, is an idiot?

Comment

[QUOTE=debianxfce;n914152]
            Originally posted by Geopirate View Post

ERB is going here.

Those who want use 3 year software use buggy Debian stable. More clever people use testing as base, then sid (xorg 1.19 server) and experimental and even ubuntu yakkety (mesa git) and the next one (for vulkan) packages. Open source code lives longer and fixes are faster. Applications do care care if drivers do not work, you can fix open source code by yourself, all this is the power.

AMD won.
            Jon Peddie Research (JPR), the graphics and multimedia industry's research and consulting firm, announced estimated PC graphics add-in-board (AIB) shipments and suppliers' market share for Q3'16. The last two quarters have seen both NVIDIA and AMD release and expand a new AIB line-up, the former lau...

Comment

[QUOTE=bug77;n914175]
              Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Jon Peddie Research (JPR), the graphics and multimedia industry's research and consulting firm, announced estimated PC graphics add-in-board (AIB) shipments and suppliers' market share for Q3'16. The last two quarters have seen both NVIDIA and AMD release and expand a new AIB line-up, the former lau...

The best comment there

It's so bizarre knowing we once had like 10 makers of GPU's and now only 2 are left.
              As always, duopoly is there just to prevent monopoly

Comment

That quote js is utterly borked it seems Michael

Comment

Can I say this is the best AMD vs nVidia article ever written on Phoronix? It's true for sure. Now it desperately needs a benchmark article to follow it up.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    Can I say this is the best AMD vs nVidia article ever written on Phoronix? It's true for sure.
                    It is better to say it is probably not the best, just different... since it is not written as usual by Michael

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      Can I say this is the best AMD vs nVidia article ever written on Phoronix? It's true for sure. Now it desperately needs a benchmark article to follow it up.
                      It's hardly the best. It's only a tad better than the bait-click we're used to. I mean, who visits Phoronix regularly and doesn't know of Fedora's stance on proprietary packages already?
                      It's an honest depiction of one's experience, but anything AMD vs Nvidia that presents things form a particular point of view leaves the door wide open for flames to follow.

This is not a criticism. I find the same thing happens in news outlets' comments section as well. Any author presenting something from a point of view gets criticized for not considering this or that aspect or for not being 100% impartial. It's as if people expect news to be written by robots that can compute the absolute point of neutrality or something.

Comment

Working...
                      X