Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Announces New TITAN X Card With 12 Billion Transistors, 11 TFLOPS Compute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shevchen View Post
    Not that I'm going to buy it, but aside from ultra-enthusiasts and science-projects, that don't need 64-bit precision (Margin already getting thin here?), what is the group of interest NVidia is aiming at? Esp. as it does not have HBM2, which might enable the massive throughput you might want to have. You either get the GP100 for real scientific stuff (and then also have the money to back it up) or you want to play games - where you are better off with... lets say 2x1080? Can someone explain this product to me?
    Ever since the first Titan, these cards have been targeting (semi-)professionals using CUDA or professional graphics/CAD. I'm glad they finally removed the "GeForce GTX" part of the name for Titan, clearly stating it's intended for it's own product segment, like Quadro and Tesla. Titan has been an excellent step between high-end GeForce and very expensive Quadro and Tesla, and is greatly appreciated by small development, graphics or CAD companies or freelancers.

But I'm curious about if there is a GeForce GP102 card in a few months, what would be the difference compared to the new Titan X (Pascal)? Perhaps the Titan would be more an exclusive but not too different from a consumer GP102?

I'm hoping Nvidia would allow AiB-partners to release it with custom coolers.

Originally posted by TheOnlyJoey View Post
    The RX 490X will probably try to compete with the 1070 and 1080, not the Titan series, as the Titan is not a consumer card and AMD kind of stept away from computation industry.
    AMD doesn't have a bigger chip in store for this year. They might create a dual-GPU card with Polaris, but that will scale poorly compared to GTX 1080.

Comment

Originally posted by rip_her_apart View Post

True, I know that. I meant more like Big Pascal or GP100 or GP102-X or something like that, not Tesla. Or do you think the new Titan X will be top tier? SK Hynix should be delivering HBM2 in 1H 2017. And there is still room for more performance or am I wrong here?

15-18B Transistors should be possible and 11+ TFLOPS.

+ they called it Titan X not something extraordinary.
      Personally, I think Nvidia will not try to beat the 1080 until Vega. And only if Vega beats the 1080. And even then they may simply release Volta (depending on how far along Volta will be at that point).
      As for HBM2, as we see today, there's not a great difference between GDDR5 and GDDR5X (1070 and 1080), so there's a chance HBM2 is really overkill for this generation of GPUs. At the same time, I feel we won't see proper 4k performance without HBM, but that's just my educated guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

TL;DR I am happy with my generalisation, yet you made me realise I should limit it to 3rd world countries with the same culture as my country.

I hear you, I understand what you are saying and I am aware of the generalisation. I believe stereotypes are based on reality. That said, I do not think it's okay to generalise or discriminate in all areas where you find stereotypes.

I suppose it could be a culture difference that makes our opinions differ, or the generalisation stronger / weaker depending on how you look at it. Most of the people "here" are not "successful" because they work hard, are passionate about what they do and strive to be better than the rest. We mostly just see people getting rich because they know a guy, whether it's corruption or tender fraud etc (warning incoming rabbit whole!). In other words, you see a lot of people here with Ferraris who just use them to sit in traffic and use the limited amount of distance that they are allowed to drive based on what their insurance providers can offer just to move from stop to stop in first gear revving along the way. I worked as a radio marshall in motor sport between 2008 and 201. I took part in some of the national and regional events mostly rally and gymkhana. I spoke to a lot of people along the way and found that most of the people who drove for a sport knew what they were doing, but the average joe with his fancy sports car was quite the loser (I'm definitely not saying every single one was). Most just got their sports cars from abusing people directly and uses it to make up for other qualities he does not possess. I also know people can do stupid things from time to time that does not make them stupid, I too had a super bike at one stage and did some really stupid things BUT if you keep on making the same mistakes then there is no hope. I know a lot of kids who are not in their teens anymore who get their parents to by titans for them on each release. It's sad to see the young folk getting sucked in by titans/ferraris/beats-headphones etc, but it's tragic to see older people still doing the same thing. Respect to the people with good moral values and who own Titans and Ferraris for the right reasons! Not people who buy beats, there are no right reasons for that.
        I hear you bro. I'm from Eastern Europe so I think I understand exactly what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          this category should have good price/value evaluation skills, because they need that to be what they are.

Not enough. These cards don't sell to a few thousand dudes, they sell to millions.

Kinda, I reach a most likely conclusion by excluding unlikely candidates, Sherlock Holmes-style.

FYI, not all rich people need to show off how cool they are to plebs by gold-plating their cock and waving it around like the ones buying that stuff do. They wear fine clothes and drive quality cars poorer people cannot afford, but they don't go out of their way to show off hard like that.

Also, this same identical behaviour can be observed with all layers of human society, so just as guys wearing relatively affordable consumer-grade "renown" and "expensive" brands to show off hard are dumbasses, the same applies to those spending 250$ for a pair of (rich man's) flip-flops.

I'm not discriminating on rich, poor, skin colour, gender, sexual orientation. If someone blows money to show off so hard is a dumbfuck and gets called out as such.

I'm not hating anyone, I'm just stating a fact.
          Rich people are still normal human beings, the overwhelming majority of human beings are dumbfucks, so are most rich people.
          It would be strange if it was not like that.
          I don't understand the apparent confusion every time a card like this comes out. The original Titan was aimed squarely at a specific type of person. You have to keep in mind the people designing/marketing these things don't live in the middle of Kansas, they live in Silicon Valley. The target market was originally people who work in tech and use their system for work, but that also game on the same system. At the time you had to have a Quaddro card and a consumer card in the same system or switch them out or have 2 different systems. When comparing the cost of any of these setups vs just buying a Titan, the value proposition isn't nearly as unreasonable.

You also don't have to be a financial genius to figure out the economics. Let's say you consider this a work expense and lets say you budget 3% of your income for work expenses. Look up average salary for a Software Development Engineer or SDET in San Diego, Seattle, New York, etc. Do the math.

Yes the market has expanded in the last several years, but they aren't selling millions of these cards. A good chunk of sales are still Compute tasks where the performance/$ is better with these cards than a pure professional card. Even ignoring this segment of the market, people aren't buying these cards and having their power shut off. If it doesn't make sense to you to buy it, don't buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Personally, I think Nvidia will not try to beat the 1080 until Vega. And only if Vega beats the 1080. And even then they may simply release Volta (depending on how far along Volta will be at that point).
            As for HBM2, as we see today, there's not a great difference between GDDR5 and GDDR5X (1070 and 1080), so there's a chance HBM2 is really overkill for this generation of GPUs. At the same time, I feel we won't see proper 4k performance without HBM, but that's just my educated guess.
            I agree with both of your points. When I wrote HBM2, I had 4K in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
              I don't understand the apparent confusion every time a card like this comes out. The original Titan was aimed squarely at a specific type of person.
              enthusiasts.

You have to keep in mind the people designing/marketing these things don't live in the middle of Kansas, they live in Silicon Valley. The target market was originally people who work in tech and use their system for work, but that also game on the same system. At the time you had to have a Quaddro card and a consumer card in the same system or switch them out or have 2 different systems. When comparing the cost of any of these setups vs just buying a Titan, the value proposition isn't nearly as unreasonable.
              TItan does not have Quadro's drivers so it does not support such features. So people that need brutal computing but no Quadro features are better off buying a bunch of high-end NVIDIA gaming gpus and use them for CUDA (which is actually common in low-budget setups).

You also don't have to be a financial genius to figure out the economics. Let's say you consider this a work expense and lets say you budget 3% of your income for work expenses. Look up average salary for a Software Development Engineer or SDET in San Diego, Seattle, New York, etc. Do the math.
              Way too little people do research or need so high power gaming GPUs for work.

Yes the market has expanded in the last several years, but they aren't selling millions of these cards. A good chunk of sales are still Compute tasks where the performance/$ is better with these cards than a pure professional card.
              and even better with a bunch of high-end gaming cards.

Comment

No, I'm just saying that rich dumbfucks do exist and are also pretty obvious to spot, while he seems to say that people that have money must have earned it through their superior intelligence so somehow their choice to buy such overpriced cards is because they somehow need them or something.

Of course I'm not saying every rich person is a dumbfuck, nor that every Titan buyer is a dumbfuck.

What I'm saying is that MOST people buying these cards (and ALL those that SLI them) are rich dumbfucks.
                Last week I used my coming 42'nd birthday as an excuse to buy a factory OC'ed Asus GTX 1080 to replace my ageing (?) GTX 780 (non-TI) that's connected to my 4K Dell display.
                On one hand, I could have bought a GTX 1060 or 1070, for (far) less money (and get more bang for the buck), on the other hand I could have bought a Titan X, and get better performance for 500$ more.
                Given *my* disposable income, the GTX 1080 was the best possible compromise: Good 4K performance for (a semi-)acceptable price.

Now, having worked with people with *considerably* more disposable income (2x - 3x more) I learned that they *don't* simply throw out money because they are idiots (dumbfucks as you call it), its just that 600$ or even 2000$ means *far less* for them that it is for me and possibly - you.
                Last edited by gilboa; 25 July 2016, 06:16 AM.
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                  Given *my* disposable income, the GTX 1080 was the best possible compromise: Good 4K performance for (a semi-)acceptable price.
                  For 4k gaming, anything less than high-end gaming cards are sub-optimal. Sure you could have bought a 1060, but 4K gaming on it... heh.

Ok we could go into the "do we really need 4k gaming?" territory but as long as you are not playing Minecraft in 4k (and you get some RIGHTEOUS WRATH for that) it's probably well within the cost of a "high-end recreational activity" (like say skydiving, hunting, fishing or whatever), so it's ok for me.

Again, I'm not saying everyone that buys a single Titan is an idiot, just the the overwhelming majority are.

If the Titan is indeed the best card for what you want it to do, then ok.

Point is most just buy it because it is "the best", "the most expensive", "the most NVIDIA", and so on.

Now, having worked with people with *considerably* more disposable income (2x - 3x more) I learned that they *don't* simply throw out money because they are idiots (dumbfucks as you call it), its just that 600$ or even 2000$ means *far less* for them that it is for me and possibly - you.
                  Yes this "means less to them" is ok to an extent, but when you start to buy stuff you don't need for twice or more the price, you're into the luxury area, throwing away money to show off or because you cannot handle money properly.

It's actually very human behaviour to miscalculate money's value (they tend to assume they need to spend 110% of what they earn each month, and so on, true at any level, not only rich), and it can (did) bring many people downhill.
                  And yeah, I'm not having any mercy for that.
                  Last edited by starshipeleven; 25 July 2016, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post

Ever since the first Titan, these cards have been targeting (semi-)professionals using CUDA or professional graphics/CAD. I'm glad they finally removed the "GeForce GTX" part of the name for Titan, clearly stating it's intended for it's own product segment, like Quadro and Tesla. Titan has been an excellent step between high-end GeForce and very expensive Quadro and Tesla, and is greatly appreciated by small development, graphics or CAD companies or freelancers.
                    This. Friends of mine provide 3d scenes as their main job (ads and entertainment) and they all work on Titan in full HD with low quality (not comparable to a game, watching what they call low is very realistic, with 1~2 fps).

So they can have the fastest "preview" result and modify the scene close to real time. OFC they could compute the whole scenes and go for Quadro but it is expensive and you require a huge installation for this.

When the preview is good they pay for high quality compute on Amazon EC2 and are only charged for usefull scenes. Their workstation is then available during EC2 compute (several hours for a few seconds) so they switch to another scene/ work and they save time and money.
                    Last edited by Passso; 25 July 2016, 09:34 AM.

Comment

For 4k gaming, anything less than high-end gaming cards are sub-optimal. Sure you could have bought a 1060, but 4K gaming on it... heh.

Ok we could go into the "do we really need 4k gaming?" territory but as long as you are not playing Minecraft in 4k (and you get some RIGHTEOUS WRATH for that) it's probably well within the cost of a "high-end recreational activity" (like say skydiving, hunting, fishing or whatever), so it's ok for me.

Again, I'm not saying everyone that buys a single Titan is an idiot, just the the overwhelming majority are.

If the Titan is indeed the best card for what you want it to do, then ok.

Point is most just buy it because it is "the best", "the most expensive", "the most NVIDIA", and so on.
                      Keep in mind that people use their 4K screen not only for gaming (mine is used primarily for work). Never the less, once you have 4K (for other reasons) you'd most likely want to use the display's native resolution and not downscale.

Yes this "means less to them" is ok to an extent, but when you start to buy stuff you don't need for twice or more the price, you're into the luxury area, throwing away money to show off or because you cannot handle money properly.

It's actually very human behaviour to miscalculate money's value (they tend to assume they need to spend 110% of what they earn each month, and so on, true at any level, not only rich), and it can (did) bring many people downhill.
                      And yeah, I'm not having any mercy for that.
                      At least the people I know (those with considerably more disposable income), don't need to show off their money, they simply buy luxury items (be that computing or cars) because they *can*, and saving 1000$ or even 20,000$ is simply a non-issue for them. (The same way you'd shrug working hard to save 5-10$)
                      Money, like everything else in life, is relative.

I do agree that for 99% of the people here (myself included), spending 2000+$ on a SLI Titan X setup just to show off, is beyond stupid.

- Gilboa

oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                      X