NVIDIA Announces The GeForce GTX 1060, Linux Tests Happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vivnet View Post

I fully expect it to outperform AMD's comparable hardware while being more efficient and having better driver support (given that marketing image is indeed from Nvidia).

So the marketing scheme is to make idiots see longer bars. That doesn't mean an intelligent person can't see the graph and interpret the numbers correctly.

Nvidia has no reason to lie; they've got them on the ropes and everyone knows it. I'm just waiting for that random haymaker to come out and clean it all up, if it hasn't been thrown already.
    I guess your post is ironic, because if it's not I'd be worried for you..

Comment

Originally posted by vivnet View Post
      I fully expect it to outperform AMD's comparable hardware while being more efficient and having better driver support (given that marketing image is indeed from Nvidia).
      Both picture and words claim similar 15% more perf on average and adventage over RX 480, this is what nVidia claim:

Across the top gaming titles, GTX 1060 is on average 15 percent faster and over 75 percent more power efficient than the closest competitive product at stock speeds.(1)

(1) Game list includes BioShock Infinite, Crysis 3, Grand Theft Auto V, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Star Wars Battlefront, Witcher 3, Ashes of the Singularity, The Division, and more. All games tested at 1080p resolution. GTX 1060 was tested with driver version 368.64 with a TGP measured at 120 watts. As of July 5, 2016, AMD RX480 competitive product was tested with driver version 16.6.2 across the same games and resolution with a measured TGP of 185 watts.
      http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/a-...force-gtx-1060

What differ there is that picture actually shows not 75% power efficiency, but around 45% (typo maybe ), while my percentage calculator over 185W vs 120W say that is 35%... I guess we all calculate percentages differently

BTW, AMD just released 16.7.1 driver, so now we can throwaway previous (and that 2 days old nvidia's one) comparison into trash can

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.7.1 Highlights
        • The Radeon™ RX 480’s power distribution has been improved for AMD reference boards, lowering the current drawn from the PCIe bus.
        • A new “compatibility mode” UI toggle has been made available in the Global Settings menu of Radeon Settings. This option is designed to reduce total power with minimal performance impact if end users experience any further issues. This toggle is “off” by default.
        • Performance improvements for the Polaris architecture that yield performance uplifts in popular game titles of up to 3% [1]. These optimizations are designed to improve the performance of the Radeon™ RX 480, and should substantially offset the performance impact for users who choose to activate the "compatibility" toggle.

So new comparison is needed, default and then maybe with this turned on:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ase-Notes.aspx
      Last edited by dungeon; 07 July 2016, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

How biaised is this graph, starting at 0.8 so that average people think it will 2x because visually the red bar is half the green one... What a shame, all this marketing $hit.
        AMD did something similar for the RX480, it annoyed me too when I noticed the X scale
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Bleah... two posts eaten, third post auto-moderated. I bet this post goes through just fine since it has no useful content...

EDIT - yep
          On the bright side, all your other posts seem to have eventually came through
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnet View Post
            I guess your post is ironic, because if it's not I'd be worried for you..
            I guess I missed the joke. I must have been busy playing games instead of fussing with my drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              What differ there is that picture actually shows not 75% power efficiency, but around 45% (typo maybe ), while my percentage calculator over 185W vs 120W say that is 35%... I guess we all calculate percentages differently

BTW, AMD just released 16.7.1 driver, so now we can throwaway previous (and that 2 days old nvidia's one) comparison into trash can
              It uses TGP instead of TDP and we have no idea how things are set up.
              About the math it think they used 65w with the 120w and got ~46% but no one understands how marketing do math.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                It uses TGP instead of TDP and we have no idea how things are set up.
                About the math it think they used 65w with the 120w and got ~46% but no one understands how marketing do math.
                Well TDP is Thermal Design Powerwhile TGP is Total Graphic Power, first is design and another is what happen actually with card in whole.

And card is GPU+board, for example RX 480's Polaris GPU is rated as 110W + board (which include anything which is not actual GPU) around 40W = 150W TDP, while TGP as they measured using 16.6.2 driver was 185W, of course that would change with 16.7.1 driver
                Last edited by dungeon; 07 July 2016, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  My maths gave me 77.29% based on the numbers you provided.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

My maths gave me 77.29% based on the numbers you provided.
                    Both true, it depends how you like to present percentage diff, it can be sort of half lower and half bigger... half full or half empty - so, optimistic or pessimistic percentages

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Bleah... two posts eaten, third post auto-moderated. I bet this post goes through just fine since it has no useful content...

EDIT - yep
                      Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      yeah, I replied to you twice and they got queued.
                      This is worse than the Cone of Silence in the old Get Smart episodes...
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X