No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 On Linux: Testing With OpenGL, OpenCL, CUDA & Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 On Linux: Testing With OpenGL, OpenCL, CUDA & Vulkan

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 On Linux: Testing With OpenGL, OpenCL, CUDA & Vulkan

If you were amazed by the GeForce GTX 1080 performance under Linux but its ~$699 USD price-tag is too much to handle, the GeForce GTX 1070 is now shipping for $399~449 USD. NVIDIA sent over a GeForce GTX 1070 and I've been putting it through its paces under Linux with a variety of OpenGL, OpenCL, and Vulkan benchmarks along with CUDA and deep learning benchmarks. Here's the first look at the GeForce GTX 1070 performance under Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great initial article. It's good to see that Pascal is ready to go with Linux right now.
    It's also good to see that Nvidia sent over a review sample this time.

Comment

Really gets me to wonder why anyone would buy a GTX 1080. This GPU is roughly 40% cheaper and at worst, roughly 25% slower while being as much as about 20% more power efficient. If you do 2K gaming or lower, the 1070 is more than enough power. The only reason you should pick a 1080 over a 1070 is 4k gaming. And even then, it's not quite good enough for all titles.

Sure, you could argue the 1080 is a bargain compared to the Titan X, but the Titan series are easily the worst-valued products Nvidia has ever made.

Comment

Nice results, but too nice. Nothing for the mainstream market still? The Rx 480 will be very successful it seems.

Comment

Just a heads up for those who are alarmed at those AMD vulkan results here... don't worry it's not representative of AMD vulkan performance. The problem was with the steam overlay and valve gave clear instructions two months ago on how to fix it by opting into the beta steam client. Since then the fix has even been pushed to the stable client so these particular results are not only ignoring the release notes but also now outdated.

Comment

Could you benchmark FP64 performance?

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
              Just a heads up for those who are alarmed at those AMD vulkan results here... don't worry it's not representative of AMD vulkan performance. The problem was with the steam overlay and valve gave clear instructions two months ago on how to fix it by opting into the beta steam client. Since then the fix has even been pushed to the stable client so these particular results are not only ignoring the release notes but also now outdated.

Michael already ran an article using the Beta at the time when the Beta was required for better AMD support.
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Furthermore, it is you who are outdated because Valve has already taken what use to be the Beta and mainlined it: http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...-Stable-AMD-VK

Consequently, there's nothing wrong with the scores presented in this article, and maybe you should actually read what gets posted on here instead of hurling accusations to support a company that doesn't care about you.

Comment

Something is really wrong with AMD Vulkan driver or DOTA2 Vulkan renderer. Here's D3D performance with maximum details:

Comment

Damn... Should have done what I planned on doing a couple of months ago and sold my GTX 970 to wait for the unveiling of the GTX 1080 and 70 to then ether buy a GTX 1070 or another second hand 970 after the prices going down.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                    Furthermore, it is you who are outdated because Valve has already taken what use to be the Beta and mainlined it
                    That's exactly what I said.
                    "Since then the fix has even been pushed to the stable client"

And I didn't make any accusations, I just pointed something out for some other people who may not be aware. My post was not targeted at Michael, it was informing people not to worry about the AMD Vulkan numbers he posted in this article.
                    Last edited by humbug; 14 June 2016, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X