Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kano
    replied
    I don't think that Wine Staging with Nvidia is much slower than Wine via Gallium Nine but if it works for you why not. AMD has certainly interesting Polaris hardware, maybe they expose HEVC Main 10 before Nvidia. But the GTX 1080 is most likely not needed for Linux only gaming, this card I would use together with Occulus Rift or HTC Vive. None of those work with Linux yet, hopefully that will change in the future.

Leave a comment:

• artivision
    replied
    Originally posted by efikkan View Post
    If you are experiencing allergic reactions to proprietary code, be careful not to open any web-browser! Most web pages are proprietary.
    I didn't said that. I said that I will use a closed HTML5 web page but not a open Flash one. I will use a closed game but not closed drivers if I have the choice. I will not use closed apps because I want to support the open ones and even if I had a big company I would prefer to pay a developer to add what is missing to an open app, instead of paying licence for a closed app. I said that Gallium Nine is better than any OpenGL state tracker, closed or open (just measure stability and number of games). I also said that AMD offers free FX for developers and has newer SM5.1 GPUs at 200 bucks. I'm not a fanatic, you just can't tell the difference of mediocre vs magnificent.
    Last edited by artivision; 07 June 2016, 03:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• efikkan
    replied
    Originally posted by artivision View Post
    OK and how many AAA games can you play with Nvidia OpenGL on Linux? I forgot how many I have played with AMD and Gallium Nine. And why you use Linux with closed core code in the first place? If I could accept that, I would use Windowz and have it all.
    If you are experiencing allergic reactions to proprietary code, be careful not to open any web-browser! Most web pages are proprietary.

Leave a comment:

• mitcoes
    replied
    I would love to read bare metal MS WOS vs QEMU KVM GPU pass through - especially with the arch (AUR) linux-vfio packages - MS WOS and GNU/Linux vs WINE vs bare metal GNU/Linux benchmarks.

Leave a comment:

• Passso
    replied

OK and how many AAA games can you play with Nvidia OpenGL on Linux? I forgot how many I have played with AMD and Gallium Nine. And why you use Linux with closed core code in the first place? If I could accept that, I would use Windowz and have it all.
    This "all or nothing" way of thinking is pathetic. Do you refuse to run closed source softwares like games other than OpenArena or Tux racer too?
    Some people use a Linux system because they like it and run closed code/drivers on it because they want/need it.

This is called freedom.

Leave a comment:

• GreekGeek
    replied
    Just pre-ordered an EVGA Founders Edition, ex Amazon. I am looking forwards to speed, stability and no heat dumped into my case-which I can finally close again. At 4K, this thing will be a total Bad Ass Beast. It is, I gotta say the "Muhammad Ali" of video cards, at this point in time.

Did I mention stable drivers?

Drums fingers waiting for dispatch.

Cool link deppman.

GreekGeek :-)

Leave a comment:

• deppman
    replied
    I use Linux because that is where I deploy my software and I can be vastly more productive with it vs a closed toy OS like Windows spyware. But I'm not afraid of buying closed software when it makes me more happy or more productive. I contribute $$ to OSS projects if I use the product a lot - like this site. I also pay for plenty of proprietary software while also sharing a lot of OSS. While all things being equal I'd prefer if NV were more open, the choice I have today is AMD where support has featured major suckage forever, or NV where everything just works beautifully.

It seems a lot of people who are super religious about Linux and OSS tend to dual boot. I'm not one of those hypocritical hippies. The reality is people spend a lot of money creating good hardware and software and need to be compensated for it, including myself. Being OSS is very desired attribute of software, but it's not the only one. Others, such as "is it good" and "does it work" are just as important. Paying good money for tools that work in my preferred and much more open ecosystem is an excellent way to spur adoption and compensate those who deserve it.

Leave a comment:

• artivision
    replied
    Originally posted by deppman View Post
    You seem awfully convinced that ATOS on DX12 / Windows 10, an AMD sponsored game with over a year of optimization for GCN architecture is pertinent to a Linux user. What matters to my children is can they play F1 2015 @3440x1440 and 90FPS today on daddy's computer? Or war thunder at 120 FPS? Or shadows of mordor? Or tomb raider? Thanks to the Nvidia GTX 980 Ti, they can. It works virtually flawlessly with a 20% over clock. Nothing from AMD comes close to providing this level of care-free performance on Linux. And when your only OS is Linux, that counts for a lot.

I gave up on the "AMD/ATI future" about 10 years ago now and have been much happier as a result. Every year they promise to fix their broken drivers and every year we are disappointed. I really hope I am wrong this year, but I'm not going to waste another minute of my life wrestling with Radeon graphics drivers until they get their act together.

I'm excited about Vulcan, as it can unify development across the world's most popular OS's.

Leave a comment:

• atomsymbol
    replied
    You seem awfully convinced that ATOS on DX12 / Windows 10, an AMD sponsored game with over a year of optimization for GCN architecture is pertinent to a Linux user. What matters to my children is can they play F1 2015 @3440x1440 and 90FPS today on daddy's computer? Or war thunder at 120 FPS? Or shadows of mordor? Or tomb raider? Thanks to the Nvidia GTX 980 Ti, they can. It works virtually flawlessly with a 20% over clock. Nothing from AMD comes close to providing this level of care-free performance on Linux. And when your only OS is Linux, that counts for a lot.
    True. But being able to examine and possibly edit the source code is a big plus in favor of AMD.

I gave up on the "AMD/ATI future" about 10 years ago now and have been much happier as a result. Every year they promise to fix their broken drivers and every year we are disappointed. I really hope I am wrong this year, but I'm not going to waste another minute of my life wrestling with Radeon graphics drivers until they get their act together.
    In my opinion, there is low probability that AMD Linux drivers will work flawlessly by the end of this year.

Leave a comment:

• deppman
    replied
    You have mixed some things incorrectly ...

... Linux users have Vulkan and Vulkan has this future ...

I'm excited about Vulcan, as it can unify development across the world's most popular OS's.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X