NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 On Linux: OpenGL, OpenCL, Vulkan Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
    If you are experiencing allergic reactions to proprietary code, be careful not to open any web-browser! Most web pages are proprietary.
    I didn't said that. I said that I will use a closed HTML5 web page but not a open Flash one. I will use a closed game but not closed drivers if I have the choice. I will not use closed apps because I want to support the open ones and even if I had a big company I would prefer to pay a developer to add what is missing to an open app, instead of paying licence for a closed app. I said that Gallium Nine is better than any OpenGL state tracker, closed or open (just measure stability and number of games). I also said that AMD offers free FX for developers and has newer SM5.1 GPUs at 200 bucks. I'm not a fanatic, you just can't tell the difference of mediocre vs magnificent.
    Last edited by artivision; 07 June 2016, 03:10 PM.

Comment

I don't think that Wine Staging with Nvidia is much slower than Wine via Gallium Nine but if it works for you why not. AMD has certainly interesting Polaris hardware, maybe they expose HEVC Main 10 before Nvidia. But the GTX 1080 is most likely not needed for Linux only gaming, this card I would use together with Occulus Rift or HTC Vive. None of those work with Linux yet, hopefully that will change in the future.

Comment

Working...
      X