With Pascal Ahead, A 16-Way Recap From NVIDIA's 9800 GTX To Maxwell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With Pascal Ahead, A 16-Way Recap From NVIDIA's 9800 GTX To Maxwell

Phoronix: With Pascal Ahead, A 16-Way Recap From NVIDIA's 9800 GTX To Maxwell

In preparing to hopefully test the GeForce GTX 1070/1080 "Pascal" graphics cards under Linux in the days ahead, I've been re-testing my collection of available NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards going back to the GeForce 9800GTX up through the Maxwell-based GeForce GTX 980 Ti and GTX TITAN X. Besides looking at the OpenGL performance at 1080p and 4K, I've also been recording the power metrics and performance-per-Watt data.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice data, thanks, Michael. My main takeaway is that Michael is very much looking forward to the 1080.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
      Nice data, thanks, Michael. My main takeaway is that Michael is very much looking forward to the 1080.
      Quite excited for both Polaris and Pascal under Linux.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Quite excited for both Polaris and Pascal under Linux.
        Same here. With how Win10 is getting more and more hostile and less and less useful, my next gaming machine may be a Linux one. That would be the last Windows machine in the house that I use--we'll still have my wife's laptop, but I'm working on her.

Comment

The 1080 looks to be the first single card solution that is going to sit nicely for 4k@60hz gaming, at least at being easy to achieve 60fps, something that is a struggle and detail setting balancing act with 390x/Furys/970/980/TX line of cards...

Yes I will be ditching my 390x once the 1080 is obtainable here in South Australia, I hear rumors up the grape vine that NVIDIA is withholding info from 3rd party oem's which means people will only be able to buy the 1080 Founders Edition end of this month from NVIDIA as the standard one just won't be available. So we could haft to wait until sometime late June before seeing them in store? shrug...

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            The 1080 looks to be the first single card solution that is going to sit nicely for 4k@60hz gaming, at least at being easy to achieve 60fps, something that is a struggle and detail setting balancing act with 390x/Furys/970/980/TX line of cards...
            I have my doubts about that, it will try to played at 4k but I bet with ultra settings and all the stuff the card will try to reach in theory 30~60 fps, if they will like to amaze people they will be suggest it on the presentation playing one video game at 4k, just they did at 1080p, 4k is going for hbm2 that is no doubt about it. This card to me is just a transition to hbm2, the good thing of the card is the chip and design less power connector.

Comment

I wonder if the performance-per-watt of GTX 1070 could eclipse 1080 in some games...

I would probably not see GTX 1060 until late this year.

Comment

Originally posted by raonlinux View Post
                I have my doubts about that, it will try to played at 4k but I bet with ultra settings and all the stuff the card will try to reach in theory 30~60 fps, if they will like to amaze people they will be suggest it on the presentation playing one video game at 4k, just they did at 1080p, 4k is going for hbm2 that is no doubt about it. This card to me is just a transition to hbm2, the good thing of the card is the chip and design less power connector.
                You may be right, but I'm someone who doesn't like BLUR / FSAA and often DOF settings on, I find them unrealistic most the time. If I want sharpening or SMAA I will use an ENB series mod to achieve it. Some of those FSAA settings in game require more then 2 videocards to do, and offer no benefits. Just because options exist in game to be enabled, doesn't mean there a good idea.

A trap for YOUNG players if you ask me, how many people have you see on youtube who play with HUGE blur effects enabled. When you walk around outside do you experience this? if so, see a doctor IMMEDIATELY!

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

You may be right, but I'm someone who doesn't like BLUR / FSAA and often DOF settings on, I find them unrealistic most the time. If I want sharpening or SMAA I will use an ENB series mod to achieve it. Some of those FSAA settings in game require more then 2 videocards to do, and offer no benefits. Just because options exist in game to be enabled, doesn't mean there a good idea.

A trap for YOUNG players if you ask me, how many people have you see on youtube who play with HUGE blur effects enabled. When you walk around outside do you experience this? if so, see a doctor IMMEDIATELY!
                  Video games are usually trying to mimic a camera, not a human eye. This is why you also see lens flare and stuff like that. What you're saying is like cats are not realistic dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Video games are usually trying to mimic a camera, not a human eye. This is why you also see lens flare and stuff like that. What you're saying is like cats are not realistic dogs.
                    What he says is that he like what the eye sees better than what the camera sees.
                    I'm with him: I wouldn't sacrifice detail to go 4k, but AA shouldn't be needed around 30" and blur and DoF is something I can live without. In fact, I can't think of a single title I have played with blur enabled.

Comment

Working...
                    X