No announcement yet.

NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 1080 Sounds Great, Can't Wait To Try It On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like an excellent achievement; and I congratulate NVIDIA. But I will not buy it unless they make Nouveau and a free Vulkan driver competitive on it.

I would buy two GTX 1080s the second they become available, if there were public and advanced support through Nouveau and a free Vulkan driver. Because these drivers are vapour, I will not buy NVIDIA. It is that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      Looks like an excellent achievement; and I congratulate NVIDIA. But I will not buy it unless they make Nouveau and a free Vulkan driver competitive on it.

I would buy two GTX 1080s the second they become available, if there were public and advanced support through Nouveau and a free Vulkan driver. Because these drivers are vapour, I will not buy NVIDIA. It is that simple.
      As of today, nvidia doesn't give a shit if you don't buy their cards. You are one out of thousands and thousands. You count Nothing.

they won't go driver open source. They deliver professional drivers in all (commercial) scenarios and as of today like it or not they are the only ones having a driver that works 99% of times in situations that "count".

The rest is gossip for people like you on phoronix.
      Last edited by bulletxt; 07 May 2016, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post

As of today, nvidia doesn't give a shit if you don't buy their cards. You are one out of thousands and thousands. You count Nothing.
        They should care actually if they spent "Billions" on this new rehash only adding the most attractive feature.. VR.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          Game devs make more money from consoles than PCs. All next-gen consoles run AMD. Ergo --> Most future games will be optimized for AMD graphics.

Whatever gen comes after Polaris (since Polaris is the low-power/low-end) Is going to be, at a minimum, a safer pick than the 1080 for games running well. Whether or not it's better than the 1080 is second hand.
          As long as games are playable at decent framerates and resolutions with Polaris then this should be the market that AMD to shoot for. We do need solid GPUs that are at a decent price point for gamers as most will balk at the $600 price of the GTX 1080, and that card is almost overkill for the current crop of games.

If AMD gets it right and has decent driver support for it out of the box then this can make some people switch to Big Red from Big Green.

Comment

Hi yall,

@ "pal666," see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll.

GreekGeek.

Comment

Hi Yall & theriddick,

"I assume you mean 4k in Windows? I run a korean 49" 4k monitor at 60hz no issues via DisplayPort (from cablechick with High Bandwidth 2 support), don't use HDMI for 4k, ever!"

For Linux, on my 4K MST setup, 4K only works cleanly via HDMI 1.4 and that is limited to 30Hz. I have posted elsewhere, about trying to resolve this, reached out to the ATI/AMD guys, but they have had *no* solution for display corruption since 390x release last year. I think we are both up to speed with the "quality" of the drivers in Linux, at this point in time.

Like you also, gaming is only a goer @ 4K/60Hz/DP1.2 in Windoze, with the 390x & it actually does it very well.

GreekGeek :-)

Comment

Looks like there's a Vulkan version of Doom. I wonder if we'll ever see the game on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post
                  Yes, If you are displaying smooth gradients (on a large enough scale) its not that hard to spot the difference. I don't think you will be able to see the difference when displaying photos, however.
                  There is a considerably noticeable difference in photos, if both the creative and reviewed end-to-end product captures and displaces that 10-bit data.

Comment

Good news it will be supported in BSD and Linux. But I'm more worried about the product itself, especially with:
                    • lack of details (specs) for a product that is done and will start selling before this month ends. Look around, specs are missing.
                    • benchmarks in presentation were done on an overclocked 2GHz+ part, while chip will sell with a lot lower clock. That means lower numbers.
                    • can't recall any mention of driver or hardware internals. Only mention new multiviewport render and the multimonitor angle fix.
                    • Do not consume less power than a 980, in fact it consumes a little more. Probably will not affect any build anyway.
                    • Benchmarks are completely MIA. Usually when a video card is announced, benchmarks follows. Not this time.... Hummm what are they hiding.
                    So if you look at those points, then the 3D Mark test that is on the Internet that claims part is only as fast as an overclock 980 Ti may be true after all.

And that's not saying is bad. Not at all, but the high curve they were claiming it may not be.

Now is turn for team red, and see if they can really put VR strong enough hardware in that mainstream $200-$250 price point.
                    Last edited by darkcoder; 08 May 2016, 01:40 AM.

Comment

I don't know why people are so up in arms about this. Most AAA games targeting Linux are targeting the Nvidia proprietary drivers. When this changes, I'm sure a lot more people will care about open source drivers outside of the evangelist community. AMD could have hired a handful of engineers to interface with the open source folks and deliver a superior driver to the closed source Nvidia driver as of a year or two ago and have an amazing Wayland driver today. I'll start taking them seriously when they start taking us seriously.

They are releasing this now with DDR5 instead of HBM BECAUSE they have the jump on team red. People are going to happily pay these prices until a compelling alternative is on the market. They talked about how many billions they are selling this for to justify the probably significant margins on this thing. If team read releases a competing product at a lower price point, the price will drop (like it always does) but they will have already sold thousands of these. They have already announced the compute card with HBM, so I'm sure they have a consumer variant they are holding back until they see how much hardware they need to unleash to compete with whatever team red drops later this year.

Also the overclock in the numbers is reasonable given that there are ALWAYS enthusiast cards released with cooling superior to the reference design and a factory overclock. Given the history of this I would safely bet that you'll be able to spend an extra $20 for one of these cards within a few months. Most people still aren't running a high enough resolution for the clock difference to be noticeable anyway. Also I'm sure they will drop a 1060 as soon as team read actually produces a card in the $200-250 price point.

Comment

Working...
                      X