Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 16.04 NVIDIA OpenGL Performance

Phoronix: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 16.04 NVIDIA OpenGL Performance

With having a clean Windows 10 installation around for the benchmarking of Ubuntu Bash on Windows 10 and Windows vs. Linux Vulkan benchmarking, I also took the opportunity to run a number of OpenGL benchmarks on both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 Linux with the same hardware and set of graphics cards. In this article are benchmarks of Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 16.04 with various NVIDIA GeForce GTX 900 series graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 16.04 NVIDIA OpenGL Performance

With having a clean Windows 10 installation around for the benchmarking of Ubuntu Bash on Windows 10 and Windows vs. Linux Vulkan benchmarking, I also took the opportunity to run a number of OpenGL benchmarks on both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 Linux with the same hardware and set of graphics cards. In this article are benchmarks of Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 16.04 with various NVIDIA GeForce GTX 900 series graphics cards.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=23052
    There is a big GPU regression since 14295, they are merging desktop and Mobile DWM(desktop compositing) codebases, there is also memory leaks by the way.
    While I'm at Phoronix, did you get my e-mail about the WIM Imaging format used for the Ubuntu FS in LXCore?

Comment

Thx for the benchmarks,Michael. I think you could generate a lot more interest if you would run some modern steam game benchmarks and if you would compare the same driver releases.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
        Thx for the benchmarks,Michael. I think you could generate a lot more interest if you would run some modern steam game benchmarks and if you would compare the same driver releases.
        They are the same driver release streams. Windows doesn't have a NVIDIA 364.12, etc, like the Linux driver. But they are all part of the same release stream.

FTA: " If anyone wants to contribute any other test profiles for Windows vs. Linux benchmarking with their favorite games, patches welcome. I'm testing the GL test profiles where there is Windows and Linux support, it's all open-source so contributions welcome if people care about other workloads.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Really curious to see Linux having a greater margin in gaming than computational workloads against win10.

Comment

"THANK YOU NVIDIA!" -- Tinus Lorvald

Comment

I'd be nice to see updated comparisons between Ubuntu 16.04 and its flavors running a handful of games. Like real games and not Xonotic. Oh and comparing performance between those Ubuntu versions and Ubuntu running the SteamOS compositor via the SteamOS session: https://launchpad.net/~mdeslaur/+archive/ubuntu/steamos

Comment

Really good to see Ubuntu/Linux catching up. In fact, given recent Microsoft's actions and how Ubuntu is performing on gaming, we will hopefully be seeing more and more developers creating games for Linux.

Comment

Working...
                X