Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Continues Discussing Their Controversial Wayland Plans With Developers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA Continues Discussing Their Controversial Wayland Plans With Developers

    Phoronix: NVIDIA Continues Discussing Their Controversial Wayland Plans With Developers

    Two weeks ago NVIDIA released their 364 Linux driver with initial support for Wayland and Mir. Some have asked why there aren't benchmarks yet or if GNOME 3.20 on Wayland supports the NVIDIA driver, but the short answer is the NVIDIA developers are still debating their implementation preferences with upstream Wayland developers...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...and-Discussion

  • #2
    I don't understand why they did not have this discussion a year ago. NVIDIA unveiled their plans and Wayland developers discussed it afterwards saying that they don't see it as a good way to implement Wayland support:

    https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...il/021011.html
    After that everything went quiet for a year. NVIDIA should have picked up the discussion and maybe today we could actually use their driver with more than a patched version of Weston.

    Comment


    • #3
      Also, how Weston affects decisions of developers of other compositors exactly? Or they always do them in sync?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Also, how Weston affects decisions of developers of other compositors exactly? Or they always do them in sync?

        It of course doesn't affect the decision of other Wayland compositor devs. They could add as many vendor specific code paths as they want, but I doubt they will.

        Comment


        • #5
          So this method is vendor specific and wouldn't work with other hardware? That of course should be a no go for any compositor.

          Comment


          • #6
            Valve hops in, resurrects 32-bit, turns all distros into multilib, no problem. Nvidia wants to make minor changes to weston, shitstorm. Strange, isn't it?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by eydee View Post
              Valve hops in, resurrects 32-bit, turns all distros into multilib, no problem. Nvidia wants to make minor changes to weston, shitstorm. Strange, isn't it?
              Distros already supported multilib, even before Valve came along. This though, is Nvidia wanting every single compositor to implement two codepaths, a generic one and a (for now at least, but possibly forever) vendor specific one. That is anything but "minor". So no, nothing strange here. Especially when Nvidia knew for two years that the rest of the graphics folks aren't on board with EGLStreams.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                So this method is vendor specific and wouldn't work with other hardware?
                It's vendor specific in the sense that only a single vendor currently implements it. Other vendors could implement it, but they have no reason to, they already have established means of achieving the same thing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                  It's vendor specific in the sense that only a single vendor currently implements it. Other vendors could implement it, but they have no reason to, they already have established means of achieving the same thing.
                  Is there any advantage to the way NVIDIA is doing it or is it merely preference?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    Valve hops in, resurrects 32-bit, turns all distros into multilib, no problem. Nvidia wants to make minor changes to weston, shitstorm. Strange, isn't it?
                    And thats exactly the reason Valve wont be installed on my machine. 64bit.
                    As for nVidia is stupid to have all other compositors go your way. Personally i was expecting their solution to work out of the box.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X