NVIDIA 364.12 Arrives With Wayland & Mir Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia once again leading the pack.

AMD is MiA, nothing since 2015-12-18 and I'm still waiting for Vulkan support.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
      Nvidia once again leading the pack.

AMD is MiA, nothing since 2015-12-18 and I'm still waiting for Vulkan support.
      What?

Who has better open source drivers already supporting wayland for years?

Either trolling or blind to AMD news.
      Last edited by fuzz; 24 March 2016, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mkurz View Post
        ... Requirements:
        Not expensive (I am NOT a gamer but a software developer using Eclipse, Google Chrome, etc. I do not have games installed at all.)
        2x DVI outputs for my two monitors
        video decoding acceleration (full hd VP8, VP9 and MPEG videos) (via VDPAU I guess) - also via HTML5 when using chrome/firefox (e.g. youtube)
        if possible OpenGL4.x and Vulkan support
        webgl support (for using Google maps and stuff like this)
        no fan because of the noise (if possible)
        low energy usage (if possible) ...

Comment

Originally posted by azari View Post
          As for Vulkan, it's also far more lightweight than OpenGL, and gives you better performance; it's more useful for games though, I don't know why you're talking about it in the context of desktop environments...
          Obviously the main target is games but if Vulkan gives better performance than OpenGL, then it helps a lot in the context of desktop environments. Mutter uses OpenGl for compositing so Vulkan support will yield faster drawing. Kwin supports both xrender and opengl but will benefit the same as mutter from a Vulkan backend.

Comment

Well, good luck convincing Martin Graesslin to port Kwin to Vulkan, I think you're going to encounter some massive resistance

It's not like Vulkan improves performance per se, it improves performance in certain circumstances. OpenGL gets the job done even on a crappy Intel GMA 3150 from 2008, don't see any reason to spend any resources on a Vulkan implementation now. Especially considering that both drivers and tools are still immature and that there are hardly any resources besides the specification itself.

Going Vulkan would be nice eventually, going Wayland is far more important right now IMHO.

Comment

Aw come the fuck on, no Fermi? Fermi isn't even that old!

Comment

I've been trying to bench bumblebee but end up benchmarking my poor 15W i5 all the time. I've tried with "primusrun phoronix-test-suite benchmark pts/unigine-valley", then "primusrun gnome-terminal" and launch bench from there. The same with "optirun". Nothing works. I was looking for some *.sh in "installed-tests" folder to sneak "primusrun" in there, but I guess that's not a way.

Comment

Working...
                X