NVIDIA 364.12 Arrives With Wayland & Mir Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Now that we have Wayland compatible drivers we need NVIDIA compatible Wayland compositors, lol. I hope that the GNOME Team has been working on this already.
    do you think support can be added to 3.20 via a patch, or do we have to wait another full dev cycle to get it?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBuzzSaw View Post
      This is why we need SDL2 to add Vulkan support ASAP. Suppress all the system-level details; let me just focus on painting to a window.
      GLFW3 supports Vulkan from day 0. It's on zlib license and less bloated than SDL

Comment

Hi,
        Does this mean Optimus is now working on Linux ? (on Linux systems supporting Wayland/Mir)
        Last edited by killerbot; 21 March 2016, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post
          do you think support can be added to 3.20 via a patch, or do we have to wait another full dev cycle to get it?

I'm no GNOME dev, but I think something like this is too big of a change to just release it as a point release. You could probably backport it manually as a patchset, when it lands in mutter master branch.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBuzzSaw
            This is why we need SDL2 to add Vulkan support ASAP. Suppress all the system-level details; let me just focus on painting to a window.
            Actually, it's quite easy to get a working Vulkan surface. Use SDL_GetWindowWMInfo to find out which platform you are on and to get the required window handles, then call the platform-specific function for surface creation (e.g. vkCreateXlibSurfaceKHR on X11) - even if SDL doesn't support it, it really isn't much extra code.

In theory, that is. The beta Nvidia driver doesn't work with Xlib (driver exposes extension but returns a null pointer for createXlibSurfaceKHR, xcb works), I hope Nvidia finally decided to fix that. (Anyone got a PGKBUILD for the new driver? It's not even in Arch's [testing] yet)

Originally posted by Marqin
            GLFW3 supports Vulkan from day 0. It's on zlib license and less bloated than SDL
            Having worked with both, I still prefer SDL. Both libraries have their flaws, but I find SDL much less painful to use in C++ code, especially because it doesn't rely upon C callbacks that generally don't support user pointers (well, windows can be assigned a user pointer, but not every callback takes a window argument, and it becomes even more of a PITA if your window management isn't based on a Singleton... blame my programming model, but my point is, SDL works well in pretty much any environment, GLFW doesn't.)

Comment

Originally posted by killerbot View Post
              Hi,
              Does this mean Optimus is now working on Linux ? (on Linux systems supporting Wayland/Mir)

with wayland/mir maybe with X only static(one card for session) this drivers and new patches should work without tearing

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
                Actually, it's quite easy to get a working Vulkan surface. Use SDL_GetWindowWMInfo to find out which platform you are on and to get the required window handles, then call the platform-specific function for surface creation (e.g. vkCreateXlibSurfaceKHR on X11) - even if SDL doesn't support it, it really isn't much extra code.
                Yeah, I didn't have much trouble getting Win32 code working with SDL. I just miss being able to throw my code onto another platform and build/run without changing anything (except build details). I don't want to be responsible for those platform/API details.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                  The console uses fbdev. The presence of KMS does *not* imply the presence fbdev. That the open KMS drivers include fbdev compatibility is merely an implementation detail, not something inherent in KMS. It seems nvidia does not provide fbdev compatibility, something I expected actually.
                  i dont get it. so there is a kms driver but you cant actually do anything with it? what is its intended function?

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
                    I dont get it. so there is a kms driver but you cant actually do anything with it? what is its intended function?
                    You can do everything with it that uses the KMS interface. The console isn't using the KMS interface, never did. It uses the fbdev interface. Many people think KMS = high res console, but this has _never_ been true. The fbdev compatibility layer in the open KMS drivers it what has always provided the high res console.

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post

i dont get it. so there is a kms driver but you cant actually do anything with it? what is its intended function?
                      Wayland requires KMS

Comment

Working...
                      X