Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two monitors, one workspace? (Dell UP2715K / 5K-related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two monitors, one workspace? (Dell UP2715K / 5K-related)

I am currently configuring a Dell UP2715K under linux (Ubuntu 15.10). The UP2715K is a 27", 5120x2880 monitor, which means it needs to be connected to the GPU (a GeForce 960 GTX) via 2 displayport cables to drive it with its full 5K resolution, and logically it is seen as two 2560x2880 displays by the OS.

It all does work with the nvidia drivers installed, and HiDPI works nicely. However, no matter what I do I still have the following problems:

(1) Maximizing windows leads to them being shown only on on side of the monitor. This also means full-screen netflix, youtube etc looks silly...

(2) Any horizontal panels (menu bars in Unity, or task bars in KDE) only go half-way across the screen.

Any thoughts on how I can fix this? And perhaps make the OS see only one single 5120x2880 screen? I've been trying a few different options (GUI-driven configurations + a manual TwinView config) but still didn't manage... I also tried vanilla Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Linux Mint, but none of them got me closer to solving this - and currently I am sticking to vanilla Ubuntu since it seems to have awesome HiDPI support so far.

Thanks in advance for any and all tips!

Hey Daviddc,

I'm in the same boat as you... I Just got myself an LG Ultrawide with 3440x1440 (split as two 1720x1440) and can't get X to see it as one display.

I've also tried the TwinView route with Kubuntu since the Internet advises this as solution but I can't get it to work.

Have you found any way to get it working?

Grtz

Comment

This makes me pretty nervous. I am soon to build a system and was planning on buying this monitor to use with it. I hate to spend so much money and then not be able to use it effectively with Linux.

Comment

Working...
      X