No announcement yet.

For Those Dealing With Binary Blobs, NVIDIA Continues Owning The Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Those Dealing With Binary Blobs, NVIDIA Continues Owning The Linux Desktop

Phoronix: For Those Dealing With Binary Blobs, NVIDIA Continues Owning The Linux Desktop

While NVIDIA has a ways to go on the open-source driver side, when it comes to proprietary drivers on Linux the green graphics giant continued to dominate with their high quality proprietary driver that continued adding in new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For Those Dealing With Binary Blobs, NVIDIA Continues Owning The Linux Desktop

pls touch me, nvidia

Comment

For those who enjoy the constant wrestling match that is life with binary blobs... and a touch of masochism. Yep, nvidia continues to dominate. For everyone else, there is... *anything* else.

Comment

Really all Nvidia needs to do now is get VSYNC/GSYNC and SLI working good under Linux. I know atm you can enable those functions but they rarely work well unless the game 100% supports it, unlike windows which will let you enable most those functions regardless and generally work decently.

PS. I have a AMD 390x, if NVIDIA supported freesync I would probably get a 980Ti tomorrow but since Nvidia doesn't like open-source anything, I doubt that will happen. Who knows maybe AMD will figure out how-to program drivers in 2016?!

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          For those who enjoy the constant wrestling match that is life with binary blobs... and a touch of masochism. Yep, nvidia continues to dominate. For everyone else, there is... *anything* else.
          Just use a non-insane distro and life with the nvidia driver is completely painless.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            Really all Nvidia needs to do now is get VSYNC/GSYNC and SLI working good under Linux. I know atm you can enable those functions but they rarely work well unless the game 100% supports it, unlike windows which will let you enable most those functions regardless and generally work decently.

PS. I have a AMD 390x, if NVIDIA supported freesync I would probably get a 980Ti tomorrow but since Nvidia doesn't like open-source anything, I doubt that will happen. Who knows maybe AMD will figure out how-to program drivers in 2016?!
            Have you been intentionally ignoring the AMD open source driver news all year? I will never again buy NVIDIA unless they get their heads straight and produce quality open source drivers like AMD.

I don't care if some games are idiotically coded for NVIDIA on linux -- if I was worried about game compatibility I wouldn't be using linux in the first place. I instead vote with my money.

Comment

Last 2 cards have been AMD but this time round i went with Nvidia, if you want to play graphicly demanding games on Linux you have to use Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

Just use a non-insane distro and life with the nvidia driver is completely painless.
                non-insane?
                Do tell, what is your secret, magic, and imaginary distro that you deem "non-insane"?

Comment

Working...
                X