No announcement yet.

G-Sync oddness (358.16 on ubuntu 16.04)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-Sync oddness (358.16 on ubuntu 16.04)

I'm not convinced G-Sync is working for me. I see the 'visual indicator' when I run Unigine Tropics (from PTS) and others, but the frame rate indication is well above the 144Hz monitor refresh rate. When I run the same demo in Windows 7, 144 is the maximum frame rate indicated. Games are similarly limited to 144.

Anyone convinced G-Sync is working correctly on Linux? How?

Many thanks for the driver PPA and the wonderful PTS

System Hardware:
    Processor: Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.50GHz (4 Cores), Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA, Chipset: Intel 4th Gen Core DRAM, Memory: 16384MB, Disk: 480GB SanDisk SDSSDHII + 256GB SanDisk SDSSDP25 + 90GB OCZ VERTEX3, Graphics: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4096MB (1177/3505MHz), Audio: Realtek ALC1150, Network: Intel Connection

Monitor: Acer XB270HU

Another test and I'm still not convinced. I read that Metro 2033 Redux works well with G-Sync on Linux. So I bought it and installed it (through Steam) on a test 64 bit ubuntu 16.04 build and compared with the same game on Win7.

What convinces me it isn't working right on Linux is quite obvious in one scene in particular. After Ayrton's first battle on the surface, the camera pans quite slowly across his collection of old postcards. The scene judders across the screen showing exactly the kind of effect G-Sync eliminates, on Linux, but it's perfectly rendered on Win7. The G-Sync indicator is shown, but I don't believe it, and it isn't the kind of scene that would need a lot of processing.

Edited to add, after trying a different driver (355.11) it seemed much better. What I saw may have been down to slow loading of the next part. Back to 358.16 and all's well.
    Last edited by John Murphy; 13 December 2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X