Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issue w/ graphic drivers on Skylake laptop (Core i7 6700HQ) + Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue w/ graphic drivers on Skylake laptop (Core i7 6700HQ) + Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if I should post it here or in the Intel section as I have no idea which driver is causing an issue.
    The status is at the moment I'm able to install and a run Kubuntu (latest release) with a kernel 4.3rc6, tried a Manjaro without success, and I'm able to login into Plasma 5 but my resolution is limited to 800x600.
    Code:
    $ xrandr
    xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
    Screen 0: minimum 800 x 600, current 800 x 600, maximum 800 x 600
    default connected primary 800x600+0+0 0mm x 0mm
       800x600       75.00*
    Code:
    $ xrandr --listproviders
    Providers: number : 0
    The error I get in dmesg is
    Code:
    snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: failed to add i915 component master (-19)
    But I didn't found any working solution.

Is anyone has sucessfully run Linux on a Skylake laptop with a Nvidia card?

Thanks

I found something else: http://askubuntu.com/questions/61414...a-kernel-patch
    Since I've got the error message too.
    Code:
    vgaarb: this pci device is not a vga device
    And my Nvidia is recognize as a 3D Controller. Sadly I cannot disable one or another from the BIOS.

Comment

Thanks debianxfce but till not working. Still getting:
      Code:
      vgaarb: this pci device is not a vga device

Comment

I already created a kernel 4.3.0rc7 with this patch, the vgaarb message disappeared but still no improvement. But I think the problem is not the Nvidia card but the integrated chipset. If I look at both dmesg and Xorg.0.log the nvidia module has no error both DRM and Xorg recognize it properly. For the i915 I get only one message from dmesg:
        Code:
        failed to add i915 component master (-19)
        But that refers to the snd_hda_intel module so not really the video part of the chipset.
        I think Skylake is just not supported properly, especially in Optimus scenario. I hope it will be in 4.4 or at least in 4.5.
        For the moment I just reinstalled Windows 10 and I will run a Manjaro through Virtual Box.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          And use max kernel 4.2.5 (for example from kernel.org) that i stable and works ok with my A8-7600 and Catalyst with kolasa patches.
          Well, the thing is that the 4.3 is supposed to bring a stable support for the Skylake processors (see Phoronix article).
          Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          Gcc 5.2 can cause wierd problems, beacuse linux software stack is compiled and tested with gcc 4.9. So compile the kernel and nvidia driver with gcc 4.9. Do the following command as root before compiling:
          rm /usr/bin/gcc
          ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-4.9 /usr/bin/gcc
          I will try when I find some time.

Comment

Working...
          X