Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does The NVIDIA Driver's OpenGL Image Settings Affect The Performance Much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The question is, did you install the driver and NOT touch any other settings in it ? This seems to be a composite slider that sets AA/AF/Vsync etc when you move it. So if you change anything of the other settings manually, this will have little impact.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Did you click the OpenBenchmarking.org link with all the other tests?
      No.

I looked at the one chart in the article and then decided to post.

Because why not?

Comment

Hm. I wasn't aware of this setting. I looked at mine (GTX 750 Ti), and saw it was set to Quality, so a different default I guess. I changed to High Quality (I use mine for photography, not gaming).

Comment

As a frequent Phoronix visitor (now with Adblock disabled (and that being painfull)) I have to admit that I am one of those who simply just don't get it. I have no idea where you get all these 3d games from (being a Debian user that might explain some of it) and quite frankly I would really appreciate if Phoronix had a wiki where you could list games, hardware and so fourth where people can actually add or remove both correct and incorrect information (in both cases I assume). Several sites exists that list Linux compatible 3d games, compatible hardware (supported by the kernel - out of the box) and such, but a Wiki here at Phoronix could in my view perhaps be much better. Phoronix might have enough traction to keep a wiki civilized instead of vandalized and as such could be a portal for the more penguin oriented of us to find things of interest a bit easer than relying on outdated material that our friend Google tend to find for us... Just an idea

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Tbh, years ago when I tested these on Winddows there wasn't much difference either. I think AF was impacted the most (that effect that isn't easy to capture in a still shot, but generates a line between mipmaps when moving). And even that is supposed to affect performance if you're bandwidth starved to begin with.
            Also, the default is Quality, not High Quality. Not that it matters much, just don't fret out if your default is different from what the article says.

Comment

Maybe there is no performance impact because the games tested come with settings already set in the driver itself ?

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                As a frequent Phoronix visitor (now with Adblock disabled (and that being painfull)) I have to admit that I am one of those who simply just don't get it. I have no idea where you get all these 3d games from [?]
                You can find a whole bunch in the Debian repositories themselves. Besides that I'd primarily look at GOG, but other interesting sources are e.g. Desura, the Humble Store and Steam. Many games can also be bought on their own websites.
                Last edited by Frenzie; 19 September 2015, 06:51 AM. Reason: Snipped some text

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  It could be that that game is CPU-limited in that benchmark. I find most of the Source-based games are.
                  The article has the result where the benchmarking showed a "big" difference. There's less of a difference in other games.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                    As a frequent Phoronix visitor (now with Adblock disabled (and that being painfull)) I have to admit that I am one of those who simply just don't get it. I have no idea where you get all these 3d games from (being a Debian user that might explain some of it) and quite frankly I would really appreciate if Phoronix had a wiki where you could list games, hardware and so fourth where people can actually add or remove both correct and incorrect information (in both cases I assume). Several sites exists that list Linux compatible 3d games, compatible hardware (supported by the kernel - out of the box) and such, but a Wiki here at Phoronix could in my view perhaps be much better. Phoronix might have enough traction to keep a wiki civilized instead of vandalized and as such could be a portal for the more penguin oriented of us to find things of interest a bit easer than relying on outdated material that our friend Google tend to find for us... Just an idea

116 pages. Hard to keep that on a wiki reasonably up to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                      https://store.steampowered.com/searc...s=linux&page=1
                      116 pages. Hard to keep that on a wiki reasonably up to date.
                      That link gave me over 600 pages--here, try this one.

Comment

Working...
                      X