Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does The NVIDIA Driver's OpenGL Image Settings Affect The Performance Much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does The NVIDIA Driver's OpenGL Image Settings Affect The Performance Much?

Phoronix: Does The NVIDIA Driver's OpenGL Image Settings Affect The Performance Much?

The proprietary NVIDIA Linux driver has a slider within its nvidia-settings utility for adjusting the OpenGL image settings, but do those settings have much of an affect on performance?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Possible they leave it in so that people feel like they can do something to improve the performance or quality of rendering, as a placebo.

Comment

It seems nothing can stop nvidia, even its own settings ... Maybe driver is designed just for benchmarking

Comment

testing with a 980? test it with mid or low end card,..

Comment

More importantly where are the screenshots for each quality setting?

Comment

Some more demanding game and testing the Anti-Aliasing settings would be more interesting,

how about BioShock Infinite ?

Also notice the quality degradation with FXAA

I forgot having selected it for testing then got in a panic once I discovered that fonts were occasionally blurry in spots and not in others upon installation of KDE Plasma 5,

this led to several installations and un-installations

until I found the saving information on an Arch Forum Thread

Comment

It could be that that game is CPU-limited in that benchmark. I find most of the Source-based games are.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                More importantly where are the screenshots for each quality setting?
                Did you read the article?
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                  Some more demanding game and testing the Anti-Aliasing settings would be more interesting,

how about BioShock Infinite ?

Also notice the quality degradation with FXAA

I forgot having selected it for testing then got in a panic once I discovered that fonts were occasionally blurry in spots and not in others upon installation of KDE Plasma 5,

this led to several installations and un-installations

until I found the saving information on an Arch Forum Thread
                  Did you click the OpenBenchmarking.org link with all the other tests?
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    It could be that that game is CPU-limited in that benchmark. I find most of the Source-based games are.
                    Did you click the OpenBenchmarking.org link with all the other tests?
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X