Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does The NVIDIA Driver's OpenGL Image Settings Affect The Performance Much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does The NVIDIA Driver's OpenGL Image Settings Affect The Performance Much?

    Phoronix: Does The NVIDIA Driver's OpenGL Image Settings Affect The Performance Much?

    The proprietary NVIDIA Linux driver has a slider within its nvidia-settings utility for adjusting the OpenGL image settings, but do those settings have much of an affect on performance?..

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Image-Settings

  • #2
    Possible they leave it in so that people feel like they can do something to improve the performance or quality of rendering, as a placebo.

    Comment


    • #3
      It seems nothing can stop nvidia, even its own settings ... Maybe driver is designed just for benchmarking

      Comment


      • #4
        testing with a 980? test it with mid or low end card,..

        Comment


        • #5
          More importantly where are the screenshots for each quality setting?

          Comment


          • #6
            Some more demanding game and testing the Anti-Aliasing settings would be more interesting,

            how about BioShock Infinite ?

            Also notice the quality degradation with FXAA

            I forgot having selected it for testing then got in a panic once I discovered that fonts were occasionally blurry in spots and not in others upon installation of KDE Plasma 5,

            this led to several installations and un-installations

            until I found the saving information on an Arch Forum Thread

            Comment


            • #7
              It could be that that game is CPU-limited in that benchmark. I find most of the Source-based games are.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by birdie View Post
                More importantly where are the screenshots for each quality setting?
                Did you read the article?
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                  Some more demanding game and testing the Anti-Aliasing settings would be more interesting,

                  how about BioShock Infinite ?

                  Also notice the quality degradation with FXAA

                  I forgot having selected it for testing then got in a panic once I discovered that fonts were occasionally blurry in spots and not in others upon installation of KDE Plasma 5,

                  this led to several installations and un-installations

                  until I found the saving information on an Arch Forum Thread
                  Did you click the OpenBenchmarking.org link with all the other tests?
                  Michael Larabel
                  http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    It could be that that game is CPU-limited in that benchmark. I find most of the Source-based games are.
                    Did you click the OpenBenchmarking.org link with all the other tests?
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X