Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Is Changing Their Kernel Module Build System

Phoronix: NVIDIA Is Changing Their Kernel Module Build System

With NVIDIA's upcoming 355.xx Linux driver series they will be employing a new kernel module build system for their proprietary driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally, after 3 years of waiting, waiting waiting. Thanks NV.
    Now give something to nouveau. :P

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
      Now give something to nouveau. :P
      No, I want wayland with blob.

Comment

Hopefully with 355 we can also build nvidia-modeset.ko which is already referenced a couple of times when you grep through the directory of the latest driver.
        Last edited by blackout23; 15 July 2015, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
          I got over excited and thought this was nvidia driver with support for KMS, wayland and mir. LOL

Comment

I got over excited and thought this was nvidia driver with support for KMS, wayland and mir. LOL
            My understanding is this work is leading up to that.

Comment

Can anyone give opinion on how this would be geared to support KMS, wayland and mir as said by article? It does not reveal much, does it?

Comment

Can anyone give opinion on how this would be geared to support KMS, wayland and mir as said by article? It does not reveal much, does it?
                Well, I can't say for sure. I don't have enough understanding to answer that. I've read in several places the first step in supporting wayland will be kernel modesetting, and this driver apparently is one step closer to that.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                  I'm not sure how those are mutually exclusive.

Comment

No one knows. Michael just speculated that supporting one of those could be a reason for reworking the build system. And, at least in case of Mir, Nvidia has declared at some point they will add support when the server matures enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X