NVIDIA 173.14.05 Display Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silent Storm View Post
    To be honest, as a programmer, I expext that if a code is better than other, it works faster (in this context). So, yes, glxgears may not be a benchmark and just tries to render three meshed gears but, if the code accelerating it better, it'll yield better frame rates...

To be more specific, I understand that glxgears just renders 3 objects and a light and uses most basic properties of openGL but this means that glxgears shows the foundation's speed. So if the code yields more frame rates it means most important part of the code, the foundation, has got better. Latest drivers may have more optimized shader compilers or more efficient power management or some nasty memory optimizations and work 3-5 FPS faster in games or whatever...

This optimizations are useless after some point since the foundation is slower and this is the point. I vote for a completely-better driver. Not a optimized here but broke there code mess.
    you are weird programmer.
    Cause glx_gears is not a benchmark. it doesnt have to show more fps just because your card is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Storm View Post
      To be honest, as a programmer, I expext that if a code is better than other, it works faster (in this context). So, yes, glxgears may not be a benchmark and just tries to render three meshed gears but, if the code accelerating it better, it'll yield better frame rates...

To be more specific, I understand that glxgears just renders 3 objects and a light and uses most basic properties of openGL but this means that glxgears shows the foundation's speed. So if the code yields more frame rates it means most important part of the code, the foundation, has got better. Latest drivers may have more optimized shader compilers or more efficient power management or some nasty memory optimizations and work 3-5 FPS faster in games or whatever...

This optimizations are useless after some point since the foundation is slower and this is the point. I vote for a completely-better driver. Not a optimized here but broke there code mess.

Please do not contribute code to anything I care about. Your ideas on performance metrics are absolutely bass-ackwards.

GLXGears is not a benchmark. It takes one very very very tiny part of the OpenGL spec and runs it as fast as it can. Using this as any sort of performance metric is like comparing word processors based on how fast a held key fills a file. Graphics cards accelerate 3D tasks, and if newer drivers do that better, but have a mildly slower GLXGears score, then that just means that they have their priorities straight.

Seriously: You are misunderstanding what GLXGears was written for. The whole idea is that you run it before setting up Utah GLX, and then you run it again afterwards, to see if 3D acceleration was being enabled on your Matrox G200 or NV Riva 128. It should have been removed years and years ago. It no longer matters in any way.

Oh, bonus: You're almost certainly grossly CPU limited. Congratulations.

Comment

Should make a GPU, pixel shaded, glxgears! glxgears2 maybe?

I agree that I just use glxgears to test if OpenGL is working. Although this can be tested in other ways. Running a game would be the best way to truly test it anyway. To get a better understanding of how much of a difference hardware acceleration would make.

Comment

anyone experiencing XV corruption? after i got this version i now get:
          Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Comment

I haven't checked video yet. Seems fine otherwise.

Comment

I just upgraded my box to Ubuntu 8.04 and now I have strange problems with one app (Stepmania) with the new drivers. Background movies in this game totally slow down everything to just a few frames per second. Before that, in Ubuntu 7.10 with the 100.14 drivers, everything was fine and very smooth.

My card is a GeForce 7050 IGP. Sure, it's not the fastest, but it isn't THAT slow -- something as simple as these background videos has to run fine.

Comment

Working...
              X