No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 173.14.05 Display Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of you really upset (or very pleased) by the driver, we do accept freelance editorials on Phoronix
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm a bit worried about this now. I'm using a 7900 GTO right now, but will be switching to a laptop w/ 8400m from September for university. When people say the new drivers are really bad for 2D on GeForce 8 cards, are we talking general desktop usage, watching videos etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
        I'm a bit worried about this now. I'm using a 7900 GTO right now, but will be switching to a laptop w/ 8400m from September for university. When people say the new drivers are really bad for 2D on GeForce 8 cards, are we talking general desktop usage, watching videos etc?

A few people have issues with them, most don't, watching video's shouldn't be a problem. (Heck watching 1080p even on a lowly Gforce 7200 can be done). Speaking from first hand experience based using a MacBook Pro which uses the 8600m, everything is running smooth as silk here on the latest drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          For those of you really upset (or very pleased) by the driver, we do accept freelance editorials on Phoronix
          Do you except editorials on other linux topics as well (such as a distribution review)? If so, how do you wish for them to be submitted? A guide/rules/expectations post would be a nice thing to have stickied in the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxic View Post
            I'm getting the same text corruption with this driver. Any solution yet?
            Haven't found any yet, and I've currently gone back to downgraded Xorg. As far as I know, 3D didn't work for me which is quite odd considering that glxgears actually worked with somewhat high fps. Also,there's the nice fonts too One thing I've found out is that the problem doesn't seem to exist with KDE apps (I'm using KDE4). So for instance Firefox and Opera has the problem with the fonts, but not Konqueror. Didn't try running Opera or Firefox in Gnome though, which I probably should to rule out KDE being the problem. If anyone has any bright ideas here I'll happily try them.

Btw: Running a GeForce 7800GS AGP card if it's relevant.

Comment

That's weird. I'm running Gnome and experiencing font corruption throughout all applications. Menu's and even Firefox. 3D works nicely with this driver. I'll continue to look for a solution. Keep you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by ferreira View Post
                Well, all I can say is "lulz"... Now the people suddenly want to embrace ATI's efforts the help the development of radeon/radeonhd drivers by telling others to buy ATI stuff...
                I'd risk a statement that people ALWAYS stick to what works... ideology is irrelevant here - I think I've never seen anyone cursing NVIDIA when their driver was working well, no matter if it was closed or whatever.
                I am sure NVIDIA will fix the bugs - and then, will you still call for people to buy ATI or return to using what you have?
                Anyway... 'twas just a random rant... feel free to flame me if you see it proper...
                That's not only a question about ideology, open source driver will be easier to maintain, releases and fixes will come out faster and I'm sure that more people will work on the driver development. And best of all, distributions will include and enable them automatically because the driver will not be restricted anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxic View Post
                  That's weird. I'm running Gnome and experiencing font corruption throughout all applications. Menu's and even Firefox. 3D works nicely with this driver. I'll continue to look for a solution. Keep you posted.
                  I just read this. Antialias really helps, and it just happends to be enabled for KDE which makes sense Now if I just could get wine to run again ... (it refuses to run with the new driver )

Comment

I'd like to 'me too' this. I'm currently on an 8800GT because it offered the best price/performance/usability, but I'm hoping to go HD 4870 once they are released. The nice thing about open drivers is the long-term nature. You can still fire up a box with a G400 or ancient 3Dfx card without too much work. Older Nvidia cards aren't very well supported, Nvidia is slow to release updates for them and they often miss out on a lot of the new features in newer drivers.

Anyways, come HD 4870 launch, maybe I'll take Michael up on his offer, and document some of my experiences from the POV of a long time Nvidia user (0.9-6 and up!).

Comment

Originally posted by AHSauge View Post
                      I just read this. Antialias really helps, and it just happends to be enabled for KDE which makes sense Now if I just could get wine to run again ... (it refuses to run with the new driver )
                      Ehm ... and that would be what happends when I forget to install the 32bit libs of the driver Well, now everything works great! Hopefully they'll fix the problem with the fonts in the next version, but for now antialias seem to work, though I must say, it doesn't look to pritty on small text.

Comment

Working...
                      X