No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 173.14.05 Display Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same as Murphy, and on the desktop, I only ever bought NVidia following 3DFX's demise (and I didn't even abandon them during the FX series ...) I'll be buying ATI for a while (with no second though, as the upcoming GTX series seems way to extreme for me anyway), and the reason why is just sad. Oh well ...

Comment

People.....

GLXGEARS IS NOT A BENCHMARK!!!

It can be used to verify that hardware-accelerated libraries are installed correctly, but that's about it.

You want to benchmark it, then use realworld benchmarks. I recently read about a site that happens to be doing a benchmark suite for linux. If I could only find a link to that site.......

Comment

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
        Strange driver:
        "X Server Display Configuration" does not work on NVIDIA X Server Settings.
        This is what I meant.

glxgears is about 15000+ FPS, on 169.12 is 21300+ FPS !
        I get around 13000 with this version on a 7800 GTX

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          People.....

GLXGEARS IS NOT A BENCHMARK!!!

It can be used to verify that hardware-accelerated libraries are installed correctly, but that's about it.

You want to benchmark it, then use realworld benchmarks. I recently read about a site that happens to be doing a benchmark suite for linux. If I could only find a link to that site.......
          To be honest, as a programmer, I expext that if a code is better than other, it works faster (in this context). So, yes, glxgears may not be a benchmark and just tries to render three meshed gears but, if the code accelerating it better, it'll yield better frame rates...

To be more specific, I understand that glxgears just renders 3 objects and a light and uses most basic properties of openGL but this means that glxgears shows the foundation's speed. So if the code yields more frame rates it means most important part of the code, the foundation, has got better. Latest drivers may have more optimized shader compilers or more efficient power management or some nasty memory optimizations and work 3-5 FPS faster in games or whatever...

This optimizations are useless after some point since the foundation is slower and this is the point. I vote for a completely-better driver. Not a optimized here but broke there code mess.

Comment

Originally posted by murphy666 View Post
            New release without 2d performance gain for 8xxx series...

THAT'S ENOUGH!!! I waited since oct2007 to get the real deal... my old MX440 work better that my 8600 card...

Now i'm going to drill a hole in it to make sure no one can use this #$%!%# card again and I'm going to buy ATI card.
            Having just upgraded my laptop with and ATI card to a Nvidia card this kind of funny to read.

Before you do anything rash with your hardware have a read of the ATI forum here on Phoronix and notice that others are pulling their hair out over various issues and threatening to burn their ATI and switch to a nvidia.

Be well aware that both binary drivers have their issues, sometimes major showstoppers depending on your hardware. Both open source efforts (RadeonHD, Noveau) are a little way off completion, although hopefully closing in on "good enough" status rapidly.

Comment

Originally posted by M1AU View Post
              This is what I meant.

I get around 13000 with this version on a 7800 GTX
              I am using 8800GT with E6750 on a G33 mainboard.

Comment

The NVIDIA 173.14.05 does ship with "out of the box" support for the Linux 2.6.25 kernel and preliminary support for X.Org 7.4 / X Server 1.5.
                So it means that nVidia driver will work with Fedora 9?
                If yes, I'm waiting for livna.org package and finally I could update Fedora

Comment

The NEW driver is very fast!
                  Wine + Cod4 = 28-40FPS!

before with 173.08
                  Wine + Cod4 = 19-30FPS!
                  NVIDIA Thank you!, And request more FPS
                  Last edited by osmanovic100; 29 May 2008, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post
                    So it means that nVidia driver will work with Fedora 9?
                    If yes, I'm waiting for livna.org package and finally I could update Fedora
                    Yes, it works, though there is some text corruption going on Strangely enough, it only seem to affect some fonts, but not all. I'm not sure if this is my fault or the driver though.

Here's an example of it

Comment

Originally posted by ltmon View Post
                      Having just upgraded my laptop with and ATI card to a Nvidia card this kind of funny to read.

Before you do anything rash with your hardware have a read of the ATI forum here on Phoronix and notice that others are pulling their hair out over various issues and threatening to burn their ATI and switch to a nvidia.

Be well aware that both binary drivers have their issues, sometimes major showstoppers depending on your hardware. Both open source efforts (RadeonHD, Noveau) are a little way off completion, although hopefully closing in on "good enough" status rapidly.
                      The reason I will switch to ATI is that AMD ARE really working with the community to get open source driver usable in 2d/3d for these card. Sadly "Nouveau" driver is not usable at all for me (I know they are working really hard!) so the reason I will switch to ATI is their open source drivers not the closed one.

Comment

Working...
                      X