Fallout From NVIDIA 173.08 Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emprov View Post
    Just a quick note: we're talking about 2D performance and in many cases it doesn't matter that these are beta or stable drivers.
    Hence why I stated Openbox, a nice 2D desktop WM and it runs smooth here

and the fact that the drivers are BETA is relevant and does matter simply because nvidia have released these as BETA's

beta
    Pre-release version of a new software program still in development, which may be handed out to users for testing. The worst bugs are usually eliminated at the earlier alpha stage of development. Beta testers use the software to do real work and report any bugs or badly implemented features they find to the developers, who incorporate this information in refining the product for release. Organizations that assist with such testing are known as beta sites.
    All I am saying/pointing out is nvidia get a load of grief and in this instance its bang out of order

its BETA...

Comment

I'm really not impressed with Phoronix on this particular "news" story. To not make it perfectly clear that this particular story is speculating on unofficial, beta software comes off as being a bit sensationalized and maninpulative and makes me feel like Phoronix is trying to drum up some sort of FUD against NVidia. If Phoronix wants to continue to act like some sort of tabloid rag, then this particular insignificant reader will go be an insignificant drop in someone else's bucket.
      Last edited by immudium; 15 April 2008, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by immudium View Post
        I'm really not impressed with Phoronix on this particular "news" story. To not make it perfectly clear that this particular story is speculating on unofficial, beta software comes off as being a bit sensationalized and maninpulative and makes me feel like Phoronix is trying to drum up some sort of FUD against NVidia. If Phoronix wants to continue to act like some sort of tabloid rag, then this particular insignificant reader will go be an insignificant drop in someone else's bucket.
        Agreed, especially when the vast majority have no issues with the driver. A vocal few and the story comes sensationalized, especially when compared to the ATI drivers which have many issues with every official driver release but those "stories" seem to focus on "improvements" rather on stuff that is still not fixed.
        Last edited by deanjo; 15 April 2008, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Despite my complaints about the driver, I guess I would have to agree that this doesn't really merit a post on the main page, It might deter some people from installing it and it doesn't really have any features that are worth it.

It is after all a beta driver. Still one can still moan about it in forums.

Comment

I think the point these people who are having problems are trying to make is that these drivers never should've made it out of ALPHA status and been released. The fact that the driver was promoted to beta means that somebody considered it good enough to be released to the public and the fact that it is a closed driver means that the community cannot fix what was broken

Comment

As said, the driver is not as bad as the sensational style of the article sounds. It works fine on both my 8400m gs and 7300 gs, and I came to know of the problem only after browsing through forums. The bug reports have been taken and the problem has been acknowledged - case over.

And its way better than the overhyped advertisements for new drivers with support for platinum, dri5 and exxxa that are plagued with regressions . I know a few encouraging words are helpful, but its disappointing after a streak of broken drivers.

Now if only there is an article with headline that fglrx drivers have agp support problems and video tearing in compiz.

Comment

Hi from Andrea Cimitan

These slowdown fixes a lor of bugs, so it's appreciated.

173.08 finally fixes rendering problems with transparency (see my transparent engine): http://arstechnica.com/articles/cult...ting-gtk.ars/3

So ok, fix speed but I think that the correct rendering we now achieved is a way more important.

Comment

It looks like nvidia fanboys came here. At first many people reported problems with STABLE drivers too. At second no one from nvidia devs even responded.

>Hence why I stated Openbox, a nice 2D desktop WM and it runs smooth here

Try KDE4. Ops, maybe QT4 is too much for nvidia devs?

Comment

Originally posted by emprov View Post
                    Try KDE4. Ops, maybe QT4 is too much for nvidia devs?
                    That's exactly what I'm running on openSUSE 11A3 and don't have any issues with it.

Comment

I'm still stuck with the 100% fan bug with the latest stable drivers, fyi.

As a laptop user, I'm not entirely happy...

Comment

Working...
                      X