Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by osmanovic100 View Post
    Hi ALL,

What is the Perfomance speed, with Linux+3D with the new driver?

With older drivers:
    Wine+COD4=25FPS (640x480) AA=off
    Vista+COD4= 80FPS (800x600) AA=2x

Linux runs as if it were a TNT2!!! (With older drivers)
    It's not fair to expect wine to run games at framerates comparable to windowd. you have to remember that it is a compatibility layer, as a result framerates for any game will be about half of those from within windows.

You're way off base if you expect a tnt2 to run cod4, or just about anything in this day and age.

but to answer your question, I've generally found that this driver is slower than the preceeding drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by osmanovic100 View Post
      Hi ALL,

What is the Perfomance speed, with Linux+3D with the new driver?

With older drivers:
      Wine+COD4=25FPS (640x480) AA=off
      Vista+COD4= 80FPS (800x600) AA=2x

My graphics card:
      8600M GT

Linux runs as if it were a TNT2!!! (With older drivers)
      Considering that this has NOTHING to do with your drivers...

You're using WINE on a DirectX 9c title.

You're emulating the Windows XP environment when you're doing that- which almost always translates into slower runtimes. In this case, the DX9 layer's still not fully gelled in WINE, let alone optimized.

If you were talking an OpenGL title, while it won't be as fast as a native port of a given game, it will be typically faster than Vista will run the title. If it's a native port, done correctly, it'll run as fast as XP and in many cases, slightly faster.

Don't be blaming drivers for this. Don't be blaming the hardware vendors for this. Don't be blaming WINE for this. Until they get the DirectX9c layer better done, you're just not going to see good framerates on Call of Duty 4 unless they offer an OpenGL renderer on Windows for you- and it's not the WINE team's fault it doesn't run well for you as they only recently got the support working at all.

Comment

Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
        It's not fair to expect wine to run games at framerates comparable to windowd. you have to remember that it is a compatibility layer, as a result framerates for any game will be about half of those from within windows.
        This varies from title to title, actually. Some applications run faster than Windows runs them. Not games, mind, but others would be a differing story. If you're talking a DirectX8/9 title, it's going to be about half or a third the speed of Vista on a bad day (all of them??). If you're talking an OpenGL title, it's closer to only about 1/3-1/4 as slow at worst.

You're way off base if you expect a tnt2 to run cod4, or just about anything in this day and age.
        Heh... I think the implication was that it was as slow as a TNT renders the games it CAN display for when compared to the card he's got.

Comment

Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
          I am still waiting for decent 2d support on my 8600m which is still rubbish. So much for investing in a decent gpu:

http://www.popsci.com/gear-gadgets/a...-graphics-card

seeing that old crappy intel gpu's do the basics properly thats probably what I'll get, that or an ati card
          By the by... The poor 2D rendering may well be due to design issues with the display adapter on your machine.

I'm not seeing issues with any G60. G70, or G80 parts with 2D rendering yet- this includes mobile parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            This varies from title to title, actually. Some applications run faster than Windows runs them. Not games, mind, but others would be a differing story. If you're talking a DirectX8/9 title, it's going to be about half or a third the speed of Vista on a bad day (all of them??). If you're talking an OpenGL title, it's closer to only about 1/3-1/4 as slow at worst.

Heh... I think the implication was that it was as slow as a TNT renders the games it CAN display for when compared to the card he's got.
            actually, stuff like world of warcraft runs smoother in wine with opengl mode, than on winblows xp.. atleast with nvidia

Comment

I'm still waiting for the fan bug to be fixed with my laptop 8600GT.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
                actually, stuff like world of warcraft runs smoother in wine with opengl mode, than on winblows xp.. atleast with nvidia
                Well, I wasn't going to be so bold as to imply that World of Warcrack plays any better on WINE as I don't have a desire to play that title...

It's good to know that maybe some titles run as good or better under WINE after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  Well, I wasn't going to be so bold as to imply that World of Warcrack plays any better on WINE as I don't have a desire to play that title...

It's good to know that maybe some titles run as good or better under WINE after all.
                  Ironically Dungeon Siege plays better in wine then in XP too

Comment

It seems some laptop chips have problem with Nvidia drivers, not sure why beryl makes em unstable. 169.12 works at least with "standard" games pretty well. Maybe the best choise would be Intel gfx if you only want beryl/compiz and not much more.

Comment

im actually impressed by how well gma x3100 works.. and intel is saying x4500 coming in Q2 08 (aka soon probably) will be 3 times as fast.

Comment

Working...
                      X