No announcement yet.

DirectX...for X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GAME -> SDL -> Quartz/OpenGL/(Other mouse related stuff)
    Is this right? I was wondering, if linux could run mac games natively then it would make life a lot easier for game developers, publishers etc.
    Do mac ports use quartz or are they SDL, OpenGL/AL etc. like linux ports? And if they are using quartz, what is needed to implement it on linux? I'm guessing that even if it is a kind of similar spiders nest to directX that linux and OSX's BSD base have enough in common to provide all that's needed.
    cheers

Comment

Originally posted by stan.distortion View Post
      Is this right? I was wondering, if linux could run mac games natively then it would make life a lot easier for game developers, publishers etc.
      There is no way to run mac binary on linux to my knowledge.
      Do mac ports use quartz or are they SDL, OpenGL/AL etc. like linux ports? And if they are using quartz, what is needed to implement it on linux? I'm guessing that even if it is a kind of similar spiders nest to directX that linux and OSX's BSD base have enough in common to provide all that's needed.
      cheers
      OSX ports are done with OpenGL and I believe that when icculus does a mac port he starts by porting to linux and then to mac (cheaper to build a powerful linux box to compile with then a mac box). So really if there is a mac port the linux version should be trivial.

Comment

Strange that, wine gets a huge amount of attention but there isn't a similar project for mac apps (at last, nothing high profile). A common layer for mac and linux games, like directX in windows, would surely make things a lot simpler and if it extended into all applications then it would be great, open source is (IMHO) the best way of developing bulletproof software but commercial apps have there good points.
        Cheers for the reply.
        PS. Look kids, using the search function before posting DOES work

Comment

Strange that, wine gets a huge amount of attention but there isn't a similar project for mac apps (at last, nothing high profile).
          Because Windows has all the apps, most mac apps run on windows anyway

A common layer for mac and linux games, like directX in windows, would surely make things a lot simpler and if it extended into all applications then it would be great, open source is (IMHO) the best way of developing bulletproof software but commercial apps have there good points.
          SDL, works with Windows, OSX, Linux, BSD

PS: SDL stands for Simple Directmedia Layer

Comment

Originally posted by some-guy View Post
            SDL, works with Windows, OSX, Linux, BSD
            as well as phones, mp3 players and well pretty much anything with a screen. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
              iirc, linux has support for running bsd binaries and bsd has support for running linux binaries. I forget the name of the compat library, since it's been a while since I used BSD.

Comment

Just been reading up on it, there really isn't anything to run (recent) mac apps on linux, it sounds crazy but there it is. Various reasons, Cocoa and Carbon are at the top of the list but the whole 'putting stuff on the screen' bit is handled by Quartz and really messed up. SDL (with OpenGL/AL being handled through it) really is the only reliable common ground for games. Shame as common game versions for both mac and linux would double the number of potential customers and give game makers a serious target to aim for.
                cheers

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
                  iirc, linux has support for running bsd binaries and bsd has support for running linux binaries. I forget the name of the compat library, since it's been a while since I used BSD.
                  I know you can run linux binaries under BSD (I've done it with freebsd before) I've never seen anything about running BSD binaries under linux.

Comment

Actually wine is doing a Great job, making easy to install directX, latest games on Linux, for game developers and graphic cards ,the first thing they look for is Money and profit .

Comment

Originally posted by Jade View Post
                      Is this possible? Yes.

Would it be extremely useful? Yes.

Will it happen? No.

Microsoft and its Linux infiltrators will make sure it doesn't.
                      So you consider Linux should change license to receive dx?

Comment

Working...
                      X