Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deanjo
    replied
    That would be nice, it increases the the value of purchasing such a card for linux. It makes it a bit easier to justify such a card for linux use.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Does anybody know if on a 2 GPU card, is Cuda able to access the second GPU on the same card? So in other words, if your using a dual GPU card 9800GX2, will you be able to use one GPU for X and the other for Cuda?

Yes, I am fairly certain that's supported.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Does anybody know if on a 2 GPU card, is Cuda able to access the second GPU on the same card? So in other words, if your using a dual GPU card 9800GX2, will you be able to use one GPU for X and the other for Cuda?

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
    We desperately need better GPU scheduling. OpenGL is used by everything from firefox3 to amarok, and compiz doesn't play nice. A GPU scheduler needs to find its way into the linux kernel, like the GPU memory manager did. It's just another processor, and it needs to be managed right.
    /me nods his head...

Now, if only we could get that, get all the players to give us basic functionality on the cards in an open manner, we'd have quite a bit fixed in that space.

Leave a comment:

• ethana2
    replied
    We desperately need better GPU scheduling. OpenGL is used by everything from firefox3 to amarok, and compiz doesn't play nice. A GPU scheduler needs to find its way into the linux kernel, like the GPU memory manager did. It's just another processor, and it needs to be managed right.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
    great. ati users left out, as usual :/
    Heh... I'm SURE that they'll get their act together...eventually. I'm a bit concerned about them claiming that the Workstation market's their main market for Linux and that they need to have closed drivers in that space- if that were honestly the case, you'd expect to see "better" results.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Then, that's AWESOME. I'd figured that they'd thought along those lines, but not having had a chance to play with any G80 hardware, I didn't know if there was "issues" with that configuration or not.

I guess if they're going to CUDA with PhysX, in addition to their dedicated hardware for it, I might be inclined to go looking for an SLI motherboard and Laptop, then...

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    great. ati users left out, as usual :/

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    This is interesting, but since CUDA is limited when you're running under X, unless they are supporting CUDA on a second GPU in the SLI slot not running in SLI mode, this is of rather limited usefulness.
    You can run a second NVIDIA GPU with CUDA in a secondary PCI-E slot not connected to a monitor (and not necessarily an SLI board) while the first monitor is connected to a screen.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    This is interesting, but since CUDA is limited when you're running under X, unless they are supporting CUDA on a second GPU in the SLI slot not running in SLI mode, this is of rather limited usefulness.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X