Nvidia Optimus laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia Optimus laptop

I am considering buying a Sager (Clevo) laptop with an Nvidia (Optimus) and I have a few questions. I tried Google and it didn't get me the information I was wanting. I am not sure what the current state of support for these laptops and trying to make an informed decision before spending a fair amount of money. This forum looked the closest for my questions.

1) If I get a laptop with a GTX970M discrete Optimus card and an internal Intel HD4600 GPU, will I be able to use the 970M in Ubuntu 14.04?
    2) If not, will I be able to use the HD4600 onboard the CPU? Is the HD4600 a safe bet for use with Linux?
    3) I've heard problems with UEFI and booting Ubuntu on the primary drive (SSD). Is this still problematic? Is dual booting Windows Ubuntu still the best option. I would like to avoid dual boot if possible. If dual booting is the best way, would dual SSDs be a good option?

I intend to use this primarily for a temporary development task, but I would like to have enough power to play games such as Diablo 3 when traveling. This is the reason I'm looking at a laptop with an Nvidia card instead of strictly relying on the HD4600 onboard the CPU.

If you really need Ubuntu then use the latest one. In case you want to try Kanotix (based on Debian) i could help you too.

Comment

used an older clevo (with 765m) worked fine a couple of weeks after the laptop hit the market, expect you should not have any problems as long as you install latest nvidia driver. bumblebee or nvidiaprime help you to switch to discrete gpu

Comment

Working...
      X