No announcement yet.

NVIDIA's $1000+ GeForce GTX TITAN X Delivers Maximum Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia does have good drivers, that's true. And it's also true that Catalyst has very serious major problems. But the OSS drivers for AMD hardware are good. They can run most games now. There are a few that requires a higher level of OpenGL support than mesa provides though. I don't expect it to take much longer before even those work just fine.

You say it only takes a half a brain to choose nVidia hardware? Ok, I suppose dumb ass people can do what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      Nvidia does have good drivers, that's true. And it's also true that Catalyst has very serious major problems. But the OSS drivers for AMD hardware are good. They can run most games now. There are a few that requires a higher level of OpenGL support than mesa provides though. I don't expect it to take much longer before even those work just fine.

You say it only takes a half a brain to choose nVidia hardware? Ok, I suppose dumb ass people can do what they want.
      > I don't expect it to take much longer before even those work just fine.

Yeah sure OpenGL 4 support is just around the corner for 3-4 years now.
      OSS drivers barely keep up with catalyst, which by itself is a pretty low benchmark.

The only reason why they are "good enough" is because the games we have on Linux aren't very demanding.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

OSS drivers barely keep up with catalyst, which by itself is a pretty low benchmark.

The only reason why they are "good enough" is because the games we have on Linux aren't very demanding.
        You just outed yourself right there. 3-4 years ago 3.x support was still being brought up. 4.x was still distant and everyone knew it. But right now 4.x support is being worked on daily.

Last edited by duby229; 27 March 2015, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          You just outed yourself right there. 3-4 years ago 3.x support was still being brought up. 4.x was still distant and everyone knew it. But right now 4.x support is being worked on daily.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/GL3.txt
          Yeah, yeah guess for how long we hear that now...
          Wouldn't really help much, because performance still wouldn't be great.

Comment

First time I heard anyone saying that was maybe 6 months ago, although I understand that corresponds to 3-4 years in dog years or internet time:

GL 2.1 - Aug 2010

GL 3.0 - Sep 2013

GL 3.3 - Feb 2014
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              First time I heard anyone saying that was maybe 6 months ago, although I understand that corresponds to 3-4 years in dog years or internet time:
              You should hang out on /r/linux more.

Comment

Yeah, yeah guess for how long we hear that now...
                Wouldn't really help much, because performance still wouldn't be great.
                Yeah, your right, you probably will get better performance per dollar with nvidia. But every nvidia card used on linux hurts linux. You can take wine as the epitome of a perfect example.

Comment

For gamers, rumors claim Nvidia will release GTX 980Ti this summer, competing with AMD's upcoming "R9 390X". So this summer will be exciting.

Comment

Great performance numbers... but with price in mind not great at all, especially in Europe .

Roughly for the same price in Europe one can buy two Radeons R9 295x2
                    Last edited by dungeon; 27 March 2015, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
                      Don't worry, Nvidia already fixed this issue http://wccftech.com/cuda-7-update-di...gtx-titan-bug/ The guy who filed a bug also wrote down in the comments.
                      I have CUDA 7.0, V7.0.17 installed and a Titan Black and I still have the DP support. I'm running Linux (not Windows like the guy who reported that "bug"). So either this is a bug, this is linked to Windows (who seriously use Windows for HPC/Computing?) or with the "Z" flavor of the Titan, but I strongly doubt that Nvidia tried to intentionally cripple the DP support, this makes no sense at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X