NVIDIA's $1000+ GeForce GTX TITAN X Delivers Maximum Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's $1000+ GeForce GTX TITAN X Delivers Maximum Linux Performance

Phoronix: NVIDIA's $1000+ GeForce GTX TITAN X Delivers Maximum Linux Performance

Last week NVIDIA unveiled the GeForce GTX TITAN X during their annual GPU Tech Conference. Of course, all of the major reviews at launch were under Windows and thus largely focused on the Direct3D performance. Now that our review sample arrived this week, I've spent the past few days hitting the TITAN X hard under Linux with various OpenGL and OpenCL workloads compared to other NVIDIA and AMD hardware on the binary Linux drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Impressive... I feel so small with my GTX 660

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: NVIDIA's $1000+ GeForce GTX TITAN X Delivers Maximum Linux Performance

Last week NVIDIA unveiled the GeForce GTX TITAN X during their annual GPU Tech Conference. Of course, all of the major reviews at launch were under Windows and thus largely focused on the Direct3D performance. Now that our review sample arrived this week, I've spent the past few days hitting the TITAN X hard under Linux with various OpenGL and OpenCL workloads compared to other NVIDIA and AMD hardware on the binary Linux drivers.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=21592
      1k card. Hope no one buys this thing. Cards 1/4 its cost are close in Nvidias camp in some tests and above in others (in all camps).

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
        1k card. Hope no one buys this thing. Cards 1/4 its cost are close in Nvidias camp in some tests and above in others (in all camps).
        I hope everybody buys this card. More R&D Money for NVIDIA. Better cards in the future.

Comment

It does perform really well. And I have no problem recommending it for windows usage...... It's just not compatible with open source ideals. The more people that use this on linux the more it hurts linux.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            I hope everybody buys this card. More R&D Money for NVIDIA. Better cards in the future.
            More money does not equal better things, or even a better world.

Comment

No full-speed double-precision floating point, pass I dual boot and will stick with AMD gpu's.
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
              Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

[...] heavy OpenCL/CUDA compute tasks, the GTX TITAN X is able to shine and run much better than the GTX 980 or original GTX TITAN.

I'm note sure about that statement. As far as I get it, those OpenCL tests you show us are single precision, am I right? If so, and because I know that the FP64 units of this Titan X are crippled to 1/24 or so leading to 0.2TFlops in DP while my Titan Black is above 1 TFlops! I'm expecting bad to not so bad performances in real computing (i.e., double precision). Otherwise, single precision does not mean anything at all and should never be done/considered.

Can you Michael provide us some real FP64 (double precision) tests on this Titan X?

Comment

Agree

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                  Ben Franklin 1755.
                  I'll never buy again a graphics card from these assholes until they open source their driver, so fuck you Nvidia
                  Last edited by Danny3; 27 March 2015, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Worth noting since Micahael's benchmarks didn't go over it:

The fp64 speed isn't what you might expect. It's not exactly slow, either, but it is not any faster - in fact i think the old Titan is still performance king on fp64 compute code.

Comment

Working...
                    X