No announcement yet.

BioShock Infinite Is The Latest Game Showing Why Linux Gamers Choose NVIDIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m seeing <40 FPS in "very high" on my Core i5 4690K / GTX 660, so I’m very surprised to see the 550Ti get 78 FPS in ultra… But I can’t run the benchmark because PTS wants 19 GB in my home partition even though I already have the game installed, and I can’t find how to run the game’s benchmark myself either.

Edit: found that page though, that states: “Benchmark results will almost always be higher than actual gameplay (in some cases considerably higher). The Benchmark runs the game without audio, without an in-game HUD, and with minimal in-game artifacts. For example, there are no enemies, and no associated graphic artifacts or textures.”
    Last edited by stqn; 20 March 2015, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Did you use nvidia-settings to disable vsync?

Comment

Interesting it seems to be a tiny bit faster than on Windows.

Here the 780 Ti averages 112 FPS on Ultra @ 1080p. 125 FPS on Linux. Maybe that 11% speedboost is because of some effects are not in the Linux version, but overall seems to be pretty competitive. If you compare the 1600p results Linux results are even better.

Your turn AMD.
        Last edited by blackout23; 20 March 2015, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          As long as NVidia refuses to license their driver in a way it can legally be bundled with the Linux kernel, I'll continue to refuse to buy GeForce again. Their driver breaking every time the kernel gets an upgrade, is just too annoying.
          Which says something about the Linux Kernel, quite honestly.

Comment

To much smoke particles in that bench, that is what i guess capped AMD driver I don't own a game, so dunno, but someone may try to disable/lower amount of smoke if possibile.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
              And what?

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                Yeah, I know. I agree with you. But I've had several conversations where I've been told that will never change. Basically what was said is that the kernel will never adopt a stable driver interface. So it is what it is. nVidia knows what the deal is.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  As long as NVidia refuses to license their driver in a way it can legally be bundled with the Linux kernel, I'll continue to refuse to buy GeForce again. Their driver breaking every time the kernel gets an upgrade, is just too annoying.
                  I bought several of their GPUs in the past but today AMD and Intel just treat their customers better.
                  DKMS is your friend. For over a year now I haven't seen that Arch had to ship patches to make them compatible with the bleeding edge kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    I don't own a game, so dunno, but someone may try to disable/lower amount of smoke if possibile.
                    It must be very expensive... I have got the game but a monthy DL limit, not worth to spend 50% of that traffic for 1 game.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                      It only shows that all the devs out there use a intel/nvidia combo.
                      I guess that could be coming close to reality.

Priorities

1. Make it run properly and fast on Nvidia *DONE*
                      2. Make it run on intel *DONE*
                      3. Have a AMD card somewhere and don't let it crash on startup *DONE*

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                      More than that it show that all d3d->opengl wrappers out there like wine and eON are optimized for nvidia.
                      Well, maybe.

However, what seems to be a real problem for AMD and their customers is
                      that it got FAR to easy for developers to blame Catalyst due to its reputation.
                      No matter if it really is AMD's fault or not.
                      The majority of the Linux crowd will just buy that argument.
                      After all: "AMD's Catalyst is sooooooooooooooooooo bad! Every Linux pro knows that!!!111"

I claim that in lots of cases there could be a solution to bugs and performance issues,
                      if developers try to actually solve problems (not always, ofc.). But you know, time is money.
                      So is development time.

Quick solution: Most Linux gamers use Nvidia cards,
                      Catalyst has a very bad reputation, let's just tell them it's AMD's fault.
                      It works. It REALLY works.

Edit:

I forgot.
                      And then always someone steps up and tells an anecdotal story about AMD failing badly.
                      Some "story" where every sane person would agree that this is just not good practice or even stupid.
                      But these cases also exist for Nvidia.
                      However, the reception is totally different.

It's a lost case for AMD.
                      Last edited by entropy; 20 March 2015, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X