Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ansla
    replied
    AMD does have such a thing, they call it the R series. Not sure where you could get one or how much it would cost, but I surely won't be sponsoring you

Leave a comment:

• drSeehas
    replied
    Originally posted by Ansla View Post
    ... if you had a PC with an A10 APU ...
    Where are all the PCs with an A10 APU and ECC RAM?
    AFAIK APUs don't support ECC RAM at all.

Given you constraints, you would get the best results by replacing the entire computer. ...
    You give me the money?
    Which computer with ECC RAM and total max 150 W power with 4 disk drives do you recommend?

Leave a comment:

• Ansla
    replied
    Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
    Which graphics card offers the best performance within the power limit of 25 W?
    Me: GT 730 (GK208) GDDR5
    You: ?
    Given you constraints, you would get the best results by replacing the entire computer. Second best, yes, that appears to be the only choice.

Leave a comment:

• Ansla
    replied
    Wikipedia is not a reliable source.

GT 730 GDDR5 Graphics Card Power 25 W.
    Actually Wikipedia is a reliable source, it also states 25W for the GT730, not sure where I got the 38W from originally, but beware such things do exist. The values on Wikipedia and the nvidia site are just for the reference design.

Sure, e.g. the mainboard of the HP ProLiant MicroServer. Maintenance and Service Guide (Part number 615714-007), pages 51 and 90.
    Good to know, one more item to the list of how major brands cripple apparently standard computers.

You can OC graphics cards too. Some come even OCed from the manufacturer. So we should compare the non-OCed numbers.
    AFAIK the RAM on discreet cars is already OCed (close) to the max, the core clock is the one you can OC easier. And in the case of DDR3 and 2400MHz OC has a completely different meaning. AMD can't just say "it supports 2400MHz DDR3" because there is no such official standard. JEDEC stopped with DDR3 at 2133MHz to make DDR4 more attractive.

But where this all started was that such low end cards are becoming a niche because most embedded GPUs are in the same ball park. Don't tell me that if you had a PC with an A10 APU you would consider adding a GT 730 for the extra performance.

Leave a comment:

• drSeehas
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    ... AFAIK DrSeehas was comparing low end GPU memory resources with APU memory resources in response to another post, not suggesting use of a low end GPU with an APU. ...
    Correct.

BTW: The mentioned HP ProLiant MicroServer has a dual core 2.2 GHz AMD embedded Turion N54L processor 25 W TDP.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    The AMD cpus are so slow, maybe you gain a bit with OC, but a lowend GPU? Do you want to gain 1 fps or what?
    Depends on whether you are talking about Mullins/Beema or Kaveri/Carrizo. If the latter, the GPU has 1.5-2x the graphics resources of a typical lowend GPU, and the first bottleneck is typically memory bandwidth so OC'ing the memory does help a bit. Michael ran some benchmarks on this.

Carrizo should pick up the same colour compression as Tonga so memory bandwidth should be less of an issue.

AFAIK DrSeehas was comparing low end GPU memory resources with APU memory resources in response to another post, not suggesting use of a low end GPU with an APU.

Your comments about slow CPU might hold water if you pair the APU's CPU with a high end GPU but I don't think it's a bottleneck when you use the APU as designed, with the integrated GPU.
    Last edited by bridgman; 24 March 2015, 04:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• drSeehas
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    The AMD cpus are so slow, ...
    I disagree. But this is OT.

maybe you gain a bit with OC, but a lowend GPU? Do you want to gain 1 fps or what?
    I didn't introduce OC.

Which graphics card offers the best performance within the power limit of 25 W?
    Me: GT 730 (GK208) GDDR5
    You: ?

Edit:
    Oh, I had a factory OCed GT 730 GDDR5.
    Last edited by drSeehas; 24 March 2015, 04:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    The AMD cpus are so slow, maybe you gain a bit with OC, but a lowend GPU? Do you want to gain 1 fps or what?

Leave a comment:

• drSeehas
    replied
    Wikipedia is not a reliable source.

GT 730 GDDR5 Graphics Card Power 25 W.

... Do you actually have an example of such a board?
    Sure, e.g. the mainboard of the HP ProLiant MicroServer. Maintenance and Service Guide (Part number 615714-007), pages 51 and 90.

... 2400 is OC that is why I explicitly mentioned the 7850K APU, that was made for OC. ...
    You can OC graphics cards too. Some come even OCed from the manufacturer. So we should compare the non-OCed numbers.

Leave a comment:

• drSeehas
    replied
    Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
    Power supply through the PCIe slot is dependent on the number of lanes. x1, x4 and x8 are limited to 25W (x1 initially to 10W, but the card can inform the board that it wants to have 25W), x16 is limited to 75W (initally 25W, can demand to get 75W, but graphics cards only).
    I agree, but, as I've already written, there are some Mainboards/systems with the 25 W limitation even on the x16 graphics slot.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X