NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960: A Great $200 GPU For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veske View Post
    Does not seem like a worthy upgrade from my 760 tough. Will have to go for a 970 or 980 instead I guess.
    +1
    I've got a Gigabyte GV-N760OC-2GD (rev. 2.0) which is running great with nvidia blob.
    I think I'll skip the 9xx series.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      linux gamers
      Oh really, Nvidia was the only vendor even remotely ready for Vavle's arrival onto the linux scene. Even with the debacle that was Optimus support.... It has seemed to have panned out. I just got a laptop with a i7 and a 860gtx and it absolutely kicks ass.

Also if you enjoy using wine for gaming, thank Nvidia because the Blob made most of that early work possible.

Comment

The people beating up Nvidia is the same kind of people beating up the best student in the class for making everyone else look bad.

Comment

linux gamers say
          I'll take a proprietary nvidia driver over the headache of using amd on mesa tbh
          my pc even fails to resume from suspend 80%+ of the time due to mesa

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
            I'll take a proprietary nvidia driver over the headache of using amd on mesa tbh
            my pc even fails to resume from suspend 80%+ of the time due to mesa
            I don't think mesa is involved in suspend/resume processing.
            Test signature

Comment

My favorite thing about GPU reviews on this site, is how many generations back the comparison includes. Most of the other mainstream sites would never benchmark a GTX 460 against a 960. They'd go back one, maybe two generations at most. That's great if you're a gamer geek always buying the latest card. But for most folks who get a number of years out their card (I'm happily using a GTX 560 ti 448) it's very helpful to see how a card from a few years back stacks up against the new stuff. Really helps to determine whether an upgrade is worthwhile or not.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
                Oh really, Nvidia was the only vendor even remotely ready for Vavle's arrival onto the linux scene. Even with the debacle that was Optimus support.... It has seemed to have panned out. I just got a laptop with a i7 and a 860gtx and it absolutely kicks ass.

Also if you enjoy using wine for gaming, thank Nvidia because the Blob made most of that early work possible.
                Don't thank nvidia, blame wine. That's the single biggest problem with wine right now is that it really depends on behavior that only nvidias blob exhibits. I'm not saying the blob is bad, just that the way wine implements a number of things is bad.

On the one hand, you have wine which doesn't want to support nine because it is linux only, but at the same time they design it to run well only on nvidias blob. It's a pain in the ass. Their priorities are really screwed up.

Comment

linux gamers say
                  So many times this.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    Don't thank nvidia, blame wine. That's the single biggest problem with wine right now is that it really depends on behavior that only nvidias blob exhibits. I'm not saying the blob is bad, just that the way wine implements a number of things is bad.

On the one hand, you have wine which doesn't want to support nine because it is linux only, but at the same time they design it to run well only on nvidias blob. It's a pain in the ass. Their priorities are really screwed up.
                    I think you are missing the point that Nvidia drivers have been kicking ass for long while, Having a ATI card was a death sentence back in 01....

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
                      I think you are missing the point that Nvidia drivers have been kicking ass for long while, Having a ATI card was a death sentence back in 01....
                      It's not 01 anymore. It hasn't been for 14 years.

Comment

Working...
                      X