Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960: A Great $200 GPU For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960: A Great $200 GPU For Linux Gamers

    Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960: A Great $200 GPU For Linux Gamers

    This morning NVIDIA is formally announcing the GeForce GTX 960 as the latest Maxwell GPU. The GeForce GTX 960 is a mid-range GPU priced starting out at $200 and comes with a compelling set of features. The past few days I've been testing out the eVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB graphics card and in this article are some initial performance figures under Linux.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=21395

  • #2
    Does not seem like a worthy upgrade from my 760 tough. Will have to go for a 970 or 980 instead I guess.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Veske View Post
      Does not seem like a worthy upgrade from my 760 tough. Will have to go for a 970 or 980 instead I guess.
      All depends what your needs are.... More numbers coming shortly.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        yay, full hw hevc. How about vp9, any word about that? i just hope that nvidia gets that h265 support on vdpau.

        Comment


        • #5
          Veske is right, this is hardly an upgrade from GTX 760. But also keep in mind that GTX 960 retail for $50 less, so it's probably targeting a lower market segment.

          I guess most sensible gamers upgrade their rig whenever it's too slow to run the desired games, and if this is the case for you I would recommend looking at GTX 970. Not only is GTX 970 over 50% more powerful, but it also features 4GB memory and larger bandwidth suited for higher resolution and AA. So buying a GTX 970 instead of GTX 960 will give a longer lasting rig, and keep in mind it's the cost per day that counts.

          But I guess those who don't care that much about performance will be satisfied with a GTX 960 for 1080p gaming.

          Anyway, whether you go for GTX 750Ti, 960, 970 or 980, I would recommend the Strix coolers from Asus. They are completely quiet at idle and medium load. I've tried it on a GTX 750Ti.

          Comment


          • #6
            Looks like nvidia is targeting 460, 560, and 660 owners with this card. According to their ad copy, only 1 of 3 x60 gamers is on a 760, so they're looking to pull some of the other 2/3rds up to date.

            Comment


            • #7
              linux gamers say

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                linux gamers say
                No, you speak for yourself.

                http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...er.4399/page=5 --> Question 6

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  Looks like nvidia is targeting 460, 560, and 660 owners with this card. According to their ad copy, only 1 of 3 x60 gamers is on a 760, so they're looking to pull some of the other 2/3rds up to date.
                  Well I have a GTX 660 but I think it?s too early to upgrade it. I bought it only one year ago and most/all games run great at high settings. Also I?m not sure about the improvement in performance since Michael doesn?t have a GTX*660 to compare but it doesn?t seem like a very compelling upgrade (still 120W and not less, more expensive, not a huge FPS increase (?)).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by stqn View Post
                    Well I have a GTX 660 but I think it?s too early to upgrade it. I bought it only one year ago and most/all games run great at high settings. Also I?m not sure about the improvement in performance since Michael doesn?t have a GTX*660 to compare but it doesn?t seem like a very compelling upgrade (still 120W and not less, more expensive, not a huge FPS increase (?)).
                    Some of the other benchmarks I've seen shows it about 50% faster than the 660 in Metro LL, or about equivalent to a 770. But I'm with you... I'm still on a 570 and am waiting for Source 2 to upgrade to whatever is new at that time.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X