No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 343.36 Updates Stable Drivers With Bug Fixes, New Kernel/X.Org Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 343.36 Updates Stable Drivers With Bug Fixes, New Kernel/X.Org Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA 343.36 Updates Stable Drivers With Bug Fixes, New Kernel/X.Org Support

While NVIDIA's 346 Linux driver series is in beta with a great deal of improvements and new features, for those sticking to the 343.xx stable series there is out this Friday the 343.36 driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still no wayland

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: NVIDIA 343.36 Updates Stable Drivers With Bug Fixes, New Kernel/X.Org Support

While NVIDIA's 346 Linux driver series is in beta with a great deal of improvements and new features, for those sticking to the 343.xx stable series there is out this Friday the 343.36 driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTg1NDk
    It's the end of 2014 and still no wayland support. Whilst Nvidia has always made great drivers, they are now holding back Linux.

Comment

This time it took nvidia a long while to support recent kernels (in this case 3.16 & 3.17).

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        This time it took nvidia a long while to support recent kernels (in this case 3.16 & 3.17).
        The old kernel modules already worked well with the 3.18 RCs I'm using on my PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Auzy View Post
          It's the end of 2014 and still no wayland support. Whilst Nvidia has always made great drivers, they are now holding back Linux.
          No distro is shipping Wayland by default (well, except the Rebecca Black distro, but that's not much more than a tech demo). The DEs are close, but they're not fully ported yet. Some quite important pieces of software, like Firefox and LibreOffice, aren't even close to being ported. So please explain very carefully how exactly is Nvidia holding Linux back.
          Last edited by Gusar; 05 December 2014, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
            No distro is shipping Wayland by default (well, except the Rebecca Black distro, but that's not much more than a tech demo). The DEs are close, but they're not fully ported yet. Some quite important pieces of software, like Firefox and LibreOffice, aren't even close to being ported. So please explain very carefully how exactly is Nvidia holding Linux back.
            in addition to that, nvidia already confirmed working on mir/wayland support so i dont see any problem there.

Alternates to the X Window System, such as Wayland and Mir, have evolved through novel use of the building blocks of the Mesa-, DRI-, and DRM-based Linux gra...

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              The old kernel modules already worked well with the 3.18 RCs I'm using on my PC.
              Think it's because between 3.16 and the upcoming 3.18 there has been little nor no change to the ABI's so the blob should work with little or no patching needed one 3.18 ships.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                Think it's because between 3.16 and the upcoming 3.18 there has been little nor no change to the ABI's so the blob should work with little or no patching needed one 3.18 ships.
                343.22 needed a little patch in order to get built under 3.18-rc*, one missing include + 1 var assignment
                which already was fixed in 346.16 beta
                Last edited by asavah; 05 December 2014, 09:12 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Oedner View Post
                  in addition to that, nvidia already confirmed working on mir/wayland support so i dont see any problem there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt4piRjbbHs
                  And as another addition , the 346 beta driver contains EGL_EXT_device_base, EGL_EXT_platform_device and EGL_EXT_output_base extensions, which are mentioned in that talk you linked to as requirements for Wayland support. So it isn't just talk, you can directly see that Nvidia really is working on Wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                    If developers can't run Wayland on their hardware, and many people's hardware doesn't support Wayland, how can distro's ship Wayland (even experimentally it makes it difficult). It also makes it an inconvenience to develop for.

If Nvidia did have Wayland support, it would mean all 3 major graphics manufacturers could run Wayland, and it would really help push development I feel

Yes Nvidia is developing support. But if you look at the number of other projects they've completed in the last year, its possible its not much of a priority. They make great hardware, and good Xorg drivers (at a cost), but I wish they spent more time working on Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X