Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using NVIDIA's NVENC On Linux With FFmpeg

Phoronix: Using NVIDIA's NVENC On Linux With FFmpeg

With the new NVIDIA 346 Linux driver series NVENC support was made available for accelerated video encoding support under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad that NVENC, at least on a GTX 680, seems to produce extremely low quality encodes?
    (Based on this article in French: http://www.hardware.fr/focus/67/enco...quicksync.html and more specifically this comparison: http://www.hardware.fr/marc/h264nven...?inception720a (you can click on the buttons at the bottom to compare NVENC with x264 veryfast for example))

Comment

So with NVidia, it's two different APIs for encode and decode? NVENC and VDPAU? Why not just adopt VAAPI? I think AMD is doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
        So with NVidia, it's two different APIs for encode and decode? NVENC and VDPAU? Why not just adopt VAAPI? I think AMD is doing that.
        Because NVENC is designed to use dedicated encoding hardware in the GPU, unlike the previous encoder which utilizes CUDA.

Comment

I will still use x264

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            AFAIK AMD uses OpenMAX for encode/decode and VDPAU for decode only, and VAAPI is Intel only, or did I miss some news about AMD?

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
              AFAIK AMD uses OpenMAX for encode/decode and VDPAU for decode only, and VAAPI is Intel only, or did I miss some news about AMD?
              He's probably refering to this article and the earlier one linked to it.
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
              Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

In my case works however needs nvEncodeAPI.h from NVENC Windows SDK and cuda SDK installed too

For more information can see this

Without NVENC

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

With NVENC

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
                  He's probably refering to this article and the earlier one linked to it.
                  http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTgwMjA
                  Yes. More cooperation with Intel could be key to counter Nvidia's dominance. Using the same API for both decode and encode only makes sense, and VAAPI is already very established.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
                    Because NVENC is designed to use dedicated encoding hardware in the GPU, ...
                    VA API or OpenMAX aren't designed to use dedicated encoding hardware in the GPUs?

Comment

Working...
                    X