No announcement yet.

NVIDIA's Linux Driver Can Deliver Better OpenGL Performance Than Windows 8.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is all very good discussion but in the end it doesn't matter realy, hardcore gamers use windows anyway, and until they have as good a games on linux as they have on windows, linux performance is irrelevant, steam is doing a great job to make linux nice for hardcore gamers but steam is a form of DRM and some gamers will not accept that, especially not sophisticated gamers (a term I use, to explain that a user is sophisticated enough to run linux). non-sophisticated gamers know nothing about linux and don't want to know (I know a few personally) because the moment they see a commandline they simply panic and run away, these gamers want nothing to do with linux. linux hardcore gaming is for sophisticated users and sophisticated users don't want DRM anywhere near their linux system, I personally don't use linux for gaming either despite all that I know about linux. the bottom line is that for people to care at all about linux gaming benchmarks in the first place is for those people to actually use linux for gaming, but since that class is between 0 and 1% - that's the end of it.

Comment

Originally posted by monohouse View Post
      this is all very good discussion but in the end it doesn't matter realy, hardcore gamers use windows anyway, and until they have as good a games on linux as they have on windows, linux performance is irrelevant, steam is doing a great job to make linux nice for hardcore gamers but steam is a form of DRM and some gamers will not accept that, especially not sophisticated gamers (a term I use, to explain that a user is sophisticated enough to run linux). non-sophisticated gamers know nothing about linux and don't want to know (I know a few personally) because the moment they see a commandline they simply panic and run away, these gamers want nothing to do with linux. linux hardcore gaming is for sophisticated users and sophisticated users don't want DRM anywhere near their linux system, I personally don't use linux for gaming either despite all that I know about linux. the bottom line is that for people to care at all about linux gaming benchmarks in the first place is for those people to actually use linux for gaming, but since that class is between 0 and 1% - that's the end of it.
      I would say that linux version of steam is for people who don't care enough about windows (and by extension windows gaming) to install windows.
      I personally buy AAA linux games (or ports) mostly to try them out and support the cause, I rarely play other games than valve's CSGO and D2 with my friends in my spare time.
      Cost of tickling csgo for few hours untill I got rid of all the quirks is still much better than using windows with all the annoying $hit MS throws at me.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
        I would say that linux version of steam is for people who don't care enough about windows (and by extension windows gaming) to install windows.
        I personally buy AAA linux games (or ports) mostly to try them out and support the cause, I rarely play other games than valve's CSGO and D2 with my friends in my spare time.
        Cost of tickling csgo for few hours untill I got rid of all the quirks is still much better than using windows with all the annoying $hit MS throws at me.
        I'm in the same boat as you, but quite frankly getting your setup right for competetive CS:GO can take quite a while, there are 3 different stacks which can enable acceleration, making your 1000Hz mouse refresh at given speed and optimum dpy is non trivial (thankfully due to libratbag this doesn't necessarily mean you have to reverse engineer windows HID driver anymore). Then there are quite a few problems with compositing managers, disabling VSYNC properly etc.
        Oh and lets not forget that pulseaudio by default increases latency forever if you miss sound buffer window on high load (especially if you configure it too aggresively in CS:GO config). These things are reduced to just use "middle setting for mouse accel" in windows" get it working right, rest of the crap has GUI on windows (mouse).
        It's much better than it used to be at least, but far from perfect, you can still feel frames dropping bellow 144Hz even on 300fps avg.

Interestingly enough, ever since Vulkan matured in dota2 I had no problems there, it's all smooth with minimal tinkering.

Comment

Working...
        X