Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Adds PhysX GPU Acceleration Support Under Linux

Phoronix: NVIDIA Adds PhysX GPU Acceleration Support Under Linux

At long last NVIDIA has exposed GPU acceleration support for PhysX under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Question:

Does this mean that games that could support PhysX will now start having better in game physics? Or does this mean that games that used PhysX will now no-longer be using PhysX on the cpu, so will get better FPS now?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      Question:

Does this mean that games that could support PhysX will now start having better in game physics? Or does this mean that games that used PhysX will now no-longer be using PhysX on the cpu, so will get better FPS now?
      if they added their on bundled PhysX lib, then game wont benefit. but, all they need is supply new bundled library AFAIK. you'll probably notice better physics which right now defaulted to low more than better fps

and finally we got it, it was getting near to two years since they started talking about it. GPU PhysX was one of the last advantages windows had. it is nice to see so much NVidia involvement
      Last edited by justmy2cents; 13 October 2014, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        Question:

Maybe to first point, if there are windows version of the game that uses gpu physX. No to latter, those games usually use cpu-only physX, which can't be turned to run on gpu.

First game that pop in to my mind is borderlands 2... but yeah we should get a driver first, sdk is for game developers.

Comment

Thanks for answering my question guys/gals. +1 to ya'll.

Comment

This is good news and all, but I honestly thought that this existed for a while now; with NVIDIA pushing their proprietary ways so much and all.

I'm still not entirely pleased with PhysX's existence after the era of unoptimized garbage that was PhysX 2.0 on the CPU; and I'm still pretty convinced it was like that just to make GPU PhysX shine. Lost a chunk of respect for UE4 when they announced PhysX support like the previous engine had (sure, developers are free to not use it and are free to implement another engine; but nobody will do that (look at how many UE3 titles use something other than PhysX; hint: there are none (afaik; feel free to correct)); cookie-cutter engine defaults gets a game to ship sooner for profits).

I'd prefer a non-biased physics engine, perhaps like the one in CryEngine 3, Havok, or perhaps the most interesting choice due to OpenCL support, Bullet.

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
            Maybe to first point, if there are windows version of the game that uses gpu physX. No to latter, those games usually use cpu-only physX, which can't be turned to run on gpu.
            I thought games could be forced-enabled to use GPU PhysX, either via NVIDIA's control panel, or by editing one of the ini files for the game? Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is one that I can name that was like that.
            Last edited by Guest; 13 October 2014, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Great news! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 3D Vision support in Linux!

Comment

Wow, the most useless vendor lock-in has arrived to Linux where there are exactly zero games using it.

NVIDIA should have opensourced and licensed it to everyone, including AMD, but their greed killed this promising project.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                  I'd prefer a non-biased physics engine, perhaps like the one in CryEngine 3, Havok, or perhaps the most interesting choice due to OpenCL support, Bullet.
                  Hard to say Havok isn't biased because it's Intel IP (acquired in end of 2007).
                  They demonstrated OpenCL pipeline back in 2009 for AMD GPUs, but it's never seen daylight.
                  Last edited by _SXX_; 13 October 2014, 11:41 AM.

Comment

FleX is a particle based simulation technique for real-time visual effect, it will be introduced as a new feature in the upcoming PhysX SDK v3.4.

PhysX is awesome, especially the upcoming FLEX. Clueless people here don't know crap as usual.

Comment

Working...
                    X