NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980: The Best GPU For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
    Indeed. This is actually a terrible gpu for linux, gamers or otherwise.
    It sure sucks for those of us that need to sling CUDA and OpenCL.

Are you all pissed off you don't have access to the code that runs your cars?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980: The Best GPU For Linux Gamers

Earlier this month NVIDIA launched the GeForce GTX 970 and GTX 980 as their highest-end offerings based on their Maxwell architecture. Since the GTX 750 series debut I have been anxious to see Maxwell succeed Kepler in the high-end space and finally last week I got hands on time with the GTX 980. As long as you are not committed to using pure open-source graphics drivers, the GeForce GTX 980 is the best you can get as a Linux gamer/enthusiast for high performance graphics for ending out 2014.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20976
      Are you going to get a GTX 970, too?
      That card is a little more interesting due to it's lower price

Comment

DSR not available?

The article states that DSR is not available, but correct me if I wrong: it is and was for a long time available. Not under that name, but the Linux driver/X-Server/xrandr-protocol supports it for a long time (or a functionality that is very similar). In the nvidia-settings you can configure your displays and their resolution. When switching to advanced you keep the resolution of the monitor (e.g. 1920x1080) and then select as ViewPortIn and Panning value 3840x2160. This should have the same effect (afaik its also available with xrandr cli, e.g. by using the scale option: many netbook user used it to pretend they have a higher resolution).

Comment

Originally posted by Flolo View Post
          The article states that DSR is not available, but correct me if I wrong: it is and was for a long time available. Not under that name, but the Linux driver/X-Server/xrandr-protocol supports it for a long time (or a functionality that is very similar). In the nvidia-settings you can configure your displays and their resolution. When switching to advanced you keep the resolution of the monitor (e.g. 1920x1080) and then select as ViewPortIn and Panning value 3840x2160. This should have the same effect (afaik its also available with xrandr cli, e.g. by using the scale option: many netbook user used it to pretend they have a higher resolution).
          DSR refers to the "set it and forget it" setting in the control panel. That is indeed not available. Downscaling is currently a difficult thing to configure. DSR makes it a one-click thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
            Nvidia still doesn't officially support OSS drivers so it's still a no buy.
            NVIDIA also asks money for it! A definite no buy!

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
              It sure sucks for those of us that need to sling CUDA and OpenCL.

Are you all pissed off you don't have access to the code that runs your cars?
              Lol, sure if my car used a linux kernel and its main purpose would be to run software, I'd be somewhat annoyed to have to download/install blob drivers to make it run. But then I'd probably just buy a car that has open source drivers.

PS:
              Where are you guys getting this ridiculous analogies?

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                Lol, sure if my car used a linux kernel and its main purpose would be to run software, I'd be somewhat annoyed to have to download/install blob drivers to make it run. But then I'd probably just buy a car that has open source drivers.

PS:
                Where are you guys getting this ridiculous analogies?
                Consider I reverse engineer automotive ECUs to gain access to functionality otherwise DRMed away from me. Just because you can't fathom a situation that would feed an analogy doesn't mean it ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
                  Consider I reverse engineer automotive ECUs to gain access to functionality otherwise DRMed away from me. Just because you can't fathom a situation that would feed an analogy doesn't mean it ridiculous.
                  Especially with all this Internet of things nonsense going on. Can you imagine having Internet connected freezers toasters and ovens all running holistic proprietary software you cannot modify or replace?

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    Especially with all this Internet of things nonsense going on. Can you imagine having Internet connected freezers toasters and ovens all running holistic proprietary software you cannot modify or replace?
                    I'll modify it, with a hammer.If you buy into the "internet of things"/"smart" appliances, you accept all the bullshit that will become of them.

Comment

GeForce GTX 970 Linux review coming on Phoronix later this week.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X