Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GTX 770/780 -works ?

Hello

I like to ask if the NVIDIA GTX 770/780 works 'fully' under Linux. When I say fully, is that it makes full use of the GPU functions (2d, 3d) as it does with the drivers for Windows.

I read several articles here where the speed of it is reported very favorable but unfortunately my experience with GPU under Linux has not been so pleasant.

Thank you

Tell us what system configuration you chose (xorg / wayland). What drivers you wish to use (open source / normal binary driver). And what you want to do with your system. (Gaming? Office? 3D Programming? etc...)

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
      Tell us what system configuration you chose (xorg / wayland). What drivers you wish to use (open source / normal binary driver). And what you want to do with your system. (Gaming? Office? 3D Programming? etc...)
      I always used OpenSuse/KDE, I would use the current version 13.1 64 bits, by default it uses xorg, not sure which driver will try, some say the open source drivers are better, other say to use the proprietary driver from the nvidia repository.

I would use it for 2d hi res graphics with software such as GIM, Krita and MyPaint as well as 3d software like Blender.

Comment

The NVidia propretery driver usually works great under linux and "fully" supports the card. It is usually at par with windows drivers as far as feature parity goes. The Open source driver is iffy.

Comment

Debian 7 works with it.

I haven't gotten any PhysX or OpenCL type of stuff to work in Wine, but the GTX 770 works almost perfectly.
          My big gripe is: it loves to tear frames.

Comment

A recent test showed that my Asus GTX770 runs about 18% faster X-Plane on Linux than on Windows or OSX.
            I was surprised myself...

Comment

Thank you for the responses, I still plan to buy it, although some personal stuff will delay the building of my next workstation which won't have a Windows partition.

I'll try the proprietary driver when the time comes, I know the 'raw' install will use noveau by default so I'll remove it (or block as it stands) and try it.

I'll report back when I finally have the machine assembled.

Thank you

Comment

I actually like the nvidia binary driver. So far it has been less pain to me than the AMD gpu drivers. But the open source AMD gpu drivers have improved a hell of a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                  I actually like the nvidia binary driver. So far it has been less pain to me than the AMD gpu drivers. But the open source AMD gpu drivers have improved a hell of a lot.
                  From all I've read up to this point, it has been consistent that the NVIDIA hardware works better than ATI AMD as far as Linux goes. From personal experience I know that to be true.

Comment

Working...
                  X